|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Low Level MIDI adjustments

I'd like to be able to adjust the frequencies that MIDI uses for notes, rther than depend on the default equal temperament.
Most non-western music is not equal-tempered, and even Western music before 1720 or so did not use equal temperament.
There is some discussion about what Bach meant by "well-tempered". It is likely that he did not mean equal temperament, and there are organs built in his lifetime (whicn he may have played) that use a different temperament.

From what I understand of the specification, it is possible to change the temperament in MIDI, but I can't see how to do it.

Of course MIDI itself is a bit antiquated (like ASCII vs Unicode), since it cannot differentiate between G# and Ab, for example.

Any help would be appreciated, even to the point of writing c code. (I'm on Mac OS X, and have some familiarity with Xcode and c programming.)

Thanks.
2 Replies
George,

I am interested in the same question, but I don't think this is currently possible with Mathematica.

I think you are talking about the microtuning described here.

Best I know the Mathematica MIDI export does not support this midi extension.
POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Thanks for the reference. I was afraid that Mathematica supported only the most basic MIDI.

If I can figure it out, I will try to implement the standard in Xcode for OS X. I haven't had to do anything this low level in at least 10 years, though.

george
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract