Message Boards Message Boards

BooleanRegion and RegionDifference unable to accomodate certain 3D regions

Posted 10 years ago

BooleanRegion seems to only deal with certain types of 3D regions. The following example works:

DiscretizeRegion[BooleanRegion[And, {Ball[{0, 0, 0}, 2], Ball[{3, 0, 0}, 2]}]]

enter image description here

This next example doesn't work:

c = 0.75; r = 89; R = 144; d = 2;
DiscretizeRegion[BooleanRegion[And, {ParametricPlot3D[{
 c (Cos[t] + d) Cos[u],
 c (Cos[t] + d) Sin[u],
 c Sin[t]
 }, {u, 0, 2 Pi}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, Mesh -> False, 
PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.5], MaxRecursion -> 2], ParametricPlot3D[{
 c ((Cos[r t] + d) Cos[R t]) + u Cos[r t] Cos[R t],
 c ((Cos[r t] + d) Sin[R t]) + u Cos[r t] Sin[R t],
 -c (Sin[r t]) - u Sin[r t]
 }, {t, 0, 1/55 Pi}, {u, -0.08, 0.08}, MaxRecursion -> 0, 
Mesh -> False, PlotStyle -> Thickness[0.06], PlotPoints -> 50]}]]

enter image description here

Perhaps it is treating the regions generated by ParametricPlot3D as hollow shells that are not filled in? Am I correct to assume that what I am generating here with ParametricPlot3D are technically "region"s? If so, they why is it that RegionUnion, RegionDifference, RegionIntersection, BooleanRegion, and DiscretizeRegion cannot handle them?

Basically what I'm looking for here is a way to add, subtract, and perform boolean operations on various 3D regions generated with ParametricPlot3D, for purposes of exporting to STL. So far, the only option has been "Show", but that only does region addition, not subtraction. Can any of the new geometric functions be used for my purposes? So far, it seems the answer is "no". Please forgive me if I have overlooked something simple.

I'd also like to echo this post. What is the point of DiscretizeRegion or TriangulateMesh if you can't export it to STL? For instance, I want export a Graphics3D Tube around a bezier/ bspline curve to STL, but I get this error: Export::type: MeshRegion cannot be exported to the STL format. >>

POSTED BY: Bryan Lettner

One has to be careful to first know that the object can actually be taken as a region. Without having clear idea what makes something a Region or not, it will be a problem using them.

p = ParametricPlot3D[{c (Cos[t] + d) Cos[u], c (Cos[t] + d) Sin[u], c Sin[t]}, {u, 0, 2 Pi}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, Mesh -> False, 
   PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.5], MaxRecursion -> 2];
RegionQ[p]
(*False*)

while

p = Ball[{0, 0, 0}, 2];
RegionQ[p]
(*True*)

The problem is that DiscretizeGraphics does not support ComplexGraphics also. When I tried this, it failed:

p1 = Graphics3D[First@
   ParametricPlot3D[{c (Cos[t] + d) Cos[u], c (Cos[t] + d) Sin[u], c Sin[t]}, {u, 0, 2 Pi}, {t, 0, 2 Pi}, Mesh -> False, 
    PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.5], MaxRecursion -> 2]];
DiscretizeGraphics[p1]

The error is

The function DiscretizeGraphics is not implemented for GraphicsComplex[

Without making your ParametricPlot3D a Region, there is no chance of using BooleanRegion[And on them. So, this is the first problem to solve. Since I do not use these functions (they are new in V10, and just got V10 two days ago, may be someone else would know)

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract