Message Boards Message Boards

NDSolve & IVP DIFFeq HELP :(

Posted 10 years ago

Hey guys!! doing my math homework and I cannot figure out how to use NDsolve...and When I looked at my friends graph of their behavior it looked completely different than the one I got so I deleted all of my work and now I turn to you math gurus to help me :(( I also had her explain to me the behavior of the solution over the interval and I pretended to understand what she said but I still don't understand question (c). Thanks for your help guys <3

1. Consider the initial-value problem (IVP) y'= cos(x) ? e^?y, with y(1) = 0 The Mathematica command DSolve fails with this problem (try it if you wish to see by yourself!), but there is the option to use the command NDSolve http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/NDSolve.html, which uses special numerical algorithms to approximate the solution over an interval. (a) ?nd the solution y = f(x) with NDSolve, over the interval 0 ? x ? 2. (b) Graph f(x) on the interval 0 < x ? 2. Which part of the graph shows the initial condition? (c) Describe in words the behavior of the solution over the given interval. What is happening near x = 2? What happens with the computation of solution if the interval is extended to x = 3?
POSTED BY: Ashley Lombardi

You can use NDSolve like this

ode = y'[x] == Cos[x] - Exp[-y[x]];
ic = y[1] == 0;
sol = First[y /. NDSolve[{ode, ic}, y, {x, 0, 2}]]
Plot[sol[x], {x, 0, 2}]

To see what happens as the range changes:

Manipulate[
 Module[{sol},
  sol = First[y /. NDSolve[{ode, ic}, y, {x, 0, max}]];
  Plot[sol[x], {x, 0, max}]
  ],
 {{max, 2, "max limit"}, .1, 4, .01, Appearance -> "Labeled"},
 Initialization :>
  (
   ode = y'[x] == Cos[x] - Exp[-y[x]];
   ic = y[1] == 0
   )
 ]

You'll see the singularity after 2.0 show up.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract