Message Boards Message Boards

[GiF] ℘' (Conformal transformation of hexagonal grid)

8 Replies

This is truly fascinating art teaching math. I think, at least to me, it would very interesting to see a single disk chosen to be red and moving along the complete Traveling Salesman tour. But I guess then we would need many more frames as the animation shows just one step along the tour? Not sure. Maybe at least a few steps. Maybe a few differently colored disk and a few steps to show the direction of the disks movement. I think because all disks are he same color it is hard to see in the GIF where each of them is shifting -- the motion is super nice but fleeting. Color would help to track that.

BTW, on a bit side note, i love GIFs. But if they get too large in byte size there are things like VideoGenerator, AnimationVideo, and FrameListVideo that cam make very nice long compressed .MP4 files. And additionally you can just wrap any of these functions in Parallelize and it will indeed Parallelize the process of video generation and saving it. Cool trick.

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

I just made a video where one dot is red and we track it through the whole cycle. The video ends up being 16 minutes long and about 460 MB, which seems a bit excessive. I'll think more about how to make this into something more accessible.

I would love to see that video :-) Any chance you can upload it it somewhere and send me link? - Temporarily if must be just until I download it.

Here's an attempt:

Conformal transformation of hexagonal grid -- with colors!

Wow, exactly what I had in mind, thank you, Clayton. How many steps along the cycle does this make or is it some other logic here?

It's just 4 steps along the cycle.

Wonderful!!

I'm doing something with mapping the usual rectangular grid, BUT showing all the overlapping by placing narrower lines on top of wider ones. And also putting little "right angle brackets" at every intersection to suggest that there might be a analog mechanical contraption to illustrate any complex mapping.

Will upload something soon.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract