Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to separate real and imaginary parts of a large complex fraction?

Posted 10 years ago
Attachments:
POSTED BY: ver din
6 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 10 years ago
Posted 10 years ago
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. But I have already applied another trick (multiplying and dividing expr1 by complex conjugate of denominator of expr1 ) and I also did as you said ( there was a little error in your suggestion which I corrected); but both ways give me some error in final expression (precision and accuracy related, since there are very high negative powers). For example,

ComplexExpand[Conjugate[Denominator[expr1]]] * Denominator[expr1] 

should be real but it is not so. In the same way mathematica is not performing truthfully for

ComplexExpand[Conjugate[Denominator[expr1]]] * Numerator[expr1] 

Command Chop is not effective here since I expect high negative exponents in my desired expression.

What is your ultimate intended use of this expression? Since all the coefficients are numerical, I'd guess that in the end you are intending to perform a numerical calculation with the result. If that is the case (and it may not be) then why not work numerically with your expression directly and take the appropriate real and imaginary parts of the result. It's still a challenge to make sure that your numerical results are accurate since you have such a large expression that is a combination of large powers of your parameters... but that would be the way I would go. However, if I have a calculation that seems that it would go on for weeks, I would stop and reevaluate my strategy.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks for the help. My goal is first to solve two parts (real and imaginary) for Rdot. Later I want to extract coefficient of theta (with specific exponent) from Rdot. Then I expect to get a relation between Rdot and theta in terms of another paramters followed by continuation method to investigate the trend among paramters.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract