Message Boards Message Boards

None of the countries bordering Poland before 1990 exist today: the fall of the Berlin Wall and USSR

Posted 5 months ago

enter image description here

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
11 Replies

The use of image effects Vignette and TornFrame to distinguish the old map from the new one is brilliant!

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna

Also, can't you simplify your code for map23? You already have computed the bordering countries in the previous input and you could Map the Text[...] over the (capitalised string) names of the bordering countries.

POSTED BY: Paul Abbott

Very nice! You could add an entry to the Function (or Paclet) repository that makes this a one liner.

A related function would be to automate production of animations such as this one of Largest Countries in the World.

POSTED BY: Paul Abbott

Thanks, Paul! Indeed, on my to-do list, if no one beats me to it (which I would be happy about).

At least Baltic Sea is a constant lol

POSTED BY: Gosia Konwerska

Can you imagine, I do remember a similar comment on the original discussion and one of the answers was something akin to "but the waters have changed" :-)

just like people - even in the border-stable countries :)

POSTED BY: Gosia Konwerska

Very amusing! Also, from wikipedia, "Although no sovereign Polish state existed between 1795 and 1918, the idea of Polish independence was kept alive throughout the 19th century."

POSTED BY: George Beck

Thanks, George. At other times it was one of the largest (~ 1M kn^2) and most populous (~ 12M) countries of 16th-17th century Europe as part of Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. Interesting history of relations with Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

Very smart work Vitaliy, JorgeO

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract