View groups...
Share this post:

ChartLegends can be orphans

Posted 10 years ago

Simple example from the documentation.

mychart = 
 BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, ChartStyle -> "Pastel", 
  ChartLegends -> {"John", "Mary", "Bob"}]

The legends appear in the output cell but if one right-clicks on the image only the chart proper is selected, the legends remain outside the image. See "naked chart.pdf"

If the chart is exported the legends do get included.

Export[NotebookDirectory[] <> "barchart.pdf", mychart]

See attached.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Douglas Kubler
5 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
Posted 10 years ago

I tried using Placed[] for the legends. When off the chart body they were orphaned. At the Center they became part of the image. Right-click and save everything works. Center was an unaesthetic position so I tried a few numbers (in a positioning system yet to be decoded). Zero (0) did a fair job.

mychart = 
 BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, ChartStyle -> "Pastel", 
  ChartLegends -> Placed[{"John", "Mary", "Bob"}, {0, Center}]]

The Head of mychart is still Legended.

Attachments:
Posted 10 years ago

Plot legends has been a long and winding road. (With plenty of begging and pleading from me.) It is much improved, but perhaps not yet in a state of grace. It does seem that the output should be a Graphic, but I wonder if there are then issues making some of the drawing tools work properly, especially the nice Get Coordinates tool, which knows the actual coordinate values on the plot, not just the scaled values.

POSTED BY: David Keith

The root of the behavior, I believe, is that that the Head of mychart is not Graphics but, rather, Legended

In[6]:= Head[mychart]

Out[6]= Legended

Hence the selection of the Graphics within the Legended'd displayed graph. This behavior then will occur whenever one uses Legended around a graphic or any other expression.

I noticed this some while ago and wondered about the design decision to have an option to a graphics function yield something with a head that is not Graphics. The main issue is that the inclusion of a Ledgending option to a Graphics function has the unexpected side effect of changing the resulting output's Head. Side effects generally are a no-no in software design.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago

I have also noticed this. The unfortunate result is that selecting the graphic, right-clicking, and using "Save graphic as" can only save the plot without legends. Any attempt to use copy or ctrl-c results in the text form in WL, not a graphic. This forces one to explicitly export graphics for presentations and reports, rather than being able to do a quick copy-paste or save-as.

Maybe there is a better way? Already in WL?

POSTED BY: David Keith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract