Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
0 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Where should I define a Compiled function on a notebook, which contains nested loops?

Posted 4 months ago

Hi,

I have a notebook containing four Do... loops nested into each other In the very inner loop I would like to use a previously defined CompiledFunction. The data to be used by the CompiledFunction generated in the second inner loop. So, the structure is something like this:

(*  set some variables and constants *)
(* First loop *)
Do[
    (* Second Loop *)
    Do[
        (* more variables and constants *)
        (* Define compiled function *)
        cIfs = Compile[{{comp, _Integer}, {day, _Integer}, {pstockf, _Integer}},
        Module[{lstockf = pstockf},
            ];
        ];
        (* Third loop *)
        Do[
            (* set some variable for fourth loop *)
            (* Fourth Loop *)
            Do[
                (* Set some variables and do some calculations *)
                kstockf=stockf[[k]];
                (* Call the compiled function *)
                stocks[[k]]=cIfs[k,l,kstockf];
            ];

];
    ];
];

I put the definition of the CompiledFunction in the second loop, because most of the data needed for it is ready before the inner two loops are started. Of course I would rather see this definition after the main body of the program as a subprogram and I was considering Packages, but I gave up on it, because all the examples I see in the Document do not call for it.
However when I evaluate the notebook I am getting this error

Compile::cptype :  List is not supported for type Void; evaluation will use the uncompiled function.

I am passing just three Integers in the format as Compile requires. All variables before the Dos are global and the variables inside the Dos are local to their Do. The innermost Do's variables see the other variables as globals, etc....
So what am I doing wrong?
What would be the right way to define the CompiledFunction outside of the loops, but still inside the same notebook?
Thanks ahead,
János

POSTED BY: Janos Lobb
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract