Message Boards Message Boards

Measuring sentence complexity via network properties of the text structure tree

Posted 4 months ago

the word

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Mark Greenberg
7 Replies
Posted 4 months ago

Very nice Mark. Perhaps you could also do a correlation matrix of the different measures for a collection of sentences. That would give us some idea of how unique each measure is.

POSTED BY: Bernard Gress
Posted 4 months ago

Thanks, Bernard. Using the same test sentences, the correlation looks like this. Notice that the low end of the scale is already a high correlation.

enter image description here

Hello! Great post!

I did a similar project for Wolfram Summer Camp this year: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2965584

POSTED BY: Navvye Anand
Posted 4 months ago

Hi, Navvye. I just read through your article. You sure cover a lot of ground! It got me thinking about language analysis through graphs in ways that I hadn't thought of before. Thanks. : )

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Dear Mark,

thank you very much for this lovely post. It is really useful. I like getting metrics when marking assessments with essay components.

I wonder whether this is substantially different in different languages. So for example if I run your code on an English sentence and then a German or Spanish translation of that sentence.

I just tried this, but unfortunately, TextStructure does not work in other languages, it appears.

Thank you for the great post,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 4 months ago

Yes, Marco, you answered your own question. This function relies on TextStructure, which only works for English. I suspect that future versions of WL will include foreign languages as well.

By the way, I used your code to access Dall•e 3 right in the WL. Thanks. : )

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract