|
2 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Inconsistent ImportString behavior on the cloud

Posted 10 years ago

The following small piece of code yields $Failed when executed in a cloud notebook through a browser.
However it gives the proper answer when executed in the same cloud notebook accessed via the “Wolfram Desktop” (and, of course, works in a desktop Mathematica environment):

temp=ExportString[(1+a)/b,"MathML"]; 
ImportString[temp]

Any thoughts on this? I've reported it as a possible bug, but would like to understand whether it is by design and, if so, what are the additional restrictions on cloud programming--whether in cloud notebooks, Instant APIs, or cloud Forms.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
2 Replies

Dear David,

I can reproduce what you describe. I also suspect that it is probably an unwanted feature, i.e. a bug. Other formats in ExportString seem to work ok-ish.

ExportString[(1 + a)/b, "TeX"]

seems to work alright in the cloud. Importing it:

ImportString[%]

gives

enter image description here

The error messages say

General::stop: Further output of FrontEndObject::notavail will be suppressed during this calculation.

FrontEndObject::notavail: A front end is not available; certain operations require a front end.

FrontEndObject::notavail: A front end is not available; certain operations require a front end.

Ops, this is strange. I just re-ran your commands in the cloud and now they give this:

enter image description here

which is the output I get on a Desktop as well.

Either WRI are working on this right now or I do not understand this behaviour at all.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Any insights from the community on these issues?

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract