Message Boards Message Boards

Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Brian Beckman
3 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Hello Brian,

This is absolutely what I have been waiting for years! I have been educated in differential Topology in the... Bourbaki style. You do explain the other way round. I guess anyone here can understand this brilliant lesson.

As to the WL it lacks the even elementary functions to do ... elementary differential Geometry, or we have to type hundreds of lines of code to get something very interresting. (I have been using it since 1991, version 1.1.a)

Thank you very much.

Jean-Michel Paris Retired mathematician

Dear Jean-Michel,

Thank you for the kind words! I am delighted that I hit a sweet spot even in the mind of a hard-boiled mathematician!

I recently discovered the xAct library (my Reference [22]). It looks very promising for checking hand calculations on manifolds. I am currently evaluating it in some detail in my related work. My current challenge is to navigate a large variety of adjoint representations necessary for force models in geometric integrators (hinted at in my paper).

I'll have more notebooks along these lines in the coming months.

Sincerely,
Brian

POSTED BY: Brian Beckman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract