Message Boards Message Boards

Help using NDSolve for an orbital dynamics problem

Hi all,

I am new to Mathematica and I am trying to model an asymmetric momentum exchange tether in its orbit about the Earth. The tether initially starts as a symmetrical system and simply has the ability to alter the tether lengths to change the CoM and thus account for mass discrepancies causing the system to act asymmetrically.

The problem I am receiving is that I am passing three equations to NDsolve. NDsolve accepts the equations as differential equations, and despite providing both boundary and initial conditions to the solver NDsolve is not resulting in a valid list of rules or a dispatch table and thus cannot be used for further evaluation of parameters to plot. I have attached a copy of my most "up to date" model, please forgive me if it is something blaringly obvious, I have been staring at my screen for a considerable amount of time now.

If there is any other information you need please let me know.

POSTED BY: Jameel Cathcart
5 Replies

The third equation simplifies to

\[Theta]''[t] + \[Psi]''[t] == 0

as I said. The second equation is not a differential equation. The first equation contains the factor \[Theta]''[t] + \[Psi]''[t]: if we replace it with zero, also the first equation ceases to be a differential equation.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Right so none of the equations are actually differential equations??

Your assistance is most appreciated by the way so thank you!

The third equation is differential.

If I am not mistaken, your three equations eqn1 == 0, eqn2 == 0, eqn3 == 0 are rather strange. The third one is

\[Theta]''[t] + \[Psi]''[t] == 0

If you replace this into the first and second equation you get a system of two algebraic equations in the two variables R[t] and \[Psi][t], which would seem to imply that R[t] and \[Psi][t] are constants.

Apologies, I realise this notebook I uploaded pre-loaded the numerical values into the equations. This is how the Lagrange Equations of motion look once they have been differentiated enter image description here

R[t] is the radial position of the tether in its orbit about the earth - this is confined to a circular orbit so in -fact yes it would be constant. Does this mean that equation 2 (which is the lagrange equation in wrt R[t]) is unnecessary and overcomplicates the system?

Psi[t] is the angular displacement of the tether in the orbital plane as it rotates "end over end" and theta[t] is the true anomaly of the system in its orbit

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract