|
9 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Most popular phrase (ngram) in English

Posted 10 years ago

I've read that the most commonly-used phrase in modern American English (both written and spoken) is "I don't know".

Is there a way to construct this as a workable query? Wolfram Alpha seems to understand questions about the most common letter or most common/popular word, but doesn't parse questions about phrases or ngrams.

POSTED BY: David Sarokin
9 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

I've read that the most commonly-used phrase in modern American English (both written and spoken) is "I don't know".

Using Google's ngram tool i took a wild guess at a phrase and the evolution of culture. Your reference may be out of date.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Douglas Kubler
Posted 10 years ago

Try it again, but this time click the "case insensitive" button. Let us know what you turn up.

Posted 10 years ago

Try it again, but this time click the "case insensitive" button. Let us know what you turn up.

A gain for both but with I do not know winning.. I missed the i (I) on a laptop screen.

Tolerance of this post does not mean that such language is generally acceptable on the Wolfram Community.

(A better comparison phrase could have been chosen.)

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie

I think he was joking.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 10 years ago

Douglas...I'm not sure what in the Guidelines you're referring to, but if you have more to add, please feel free. I am looking for "most common phrase" info, and am hoping that Wolfram Alpha is a useful tool for exploration of that topic.

Posted 10 years ago

IMHO it's not IDK. (That's all I will say re: Community Guidelines)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract