7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Beginner to Wolfram Alpha - keyboard shortcuts

Posted 10 years ago

Hi,

Ive just started using Wolfram Alpha and I'm having problems trying to show the find the square symbol. I see it in the list of functions when im typing but I'd like to know how to do it myself. Also, if anyone could direct me to a list of these types of inputs I would really appreciate it. I know this is a super simple question but I can't find it anywhere! This site is a maze.

Thanks, Josh

POSTED BY: Joshua Hurn
7 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Shift + 6 for "^" is actually the way your keyboard is installed. It should be displayed on the 6-key, however. What symbol do you have above the 6?

I suggest you hold down the Shift key down and press all the keys on your keyboard in turn, taking note of what gets displayed. Then the same with the Alt key.

POSTED BY: Leo Hamminger
Posted 10 years ago

On the English keyboard (which is somewhat different to the US Keyboard) you get "^" with Shift 6 (number 6, not function 6) - unless you have a Mac, in which case I can't help.

When you start Mathematica, you get command Tabs starting with File, Edit, Insert, etc. to the extreme right there is Help, which has a search function.

I am not familiar with Wolfram Alpha, being a "beginning beginner" myself ..

Posted 10 years ago

The shift + 6 is the correct way. Do you know of any list of these type of inputs? I don't use Mathematica so I don't see the help section. Thanks so much for the help :)

Josh

Posted 10 years ago

I may have gotten you wrong, Joshua: I thought you were talking about the square brackets when you said " square symbol" in your above post.

What key exactly you can't find?

I use "Help" a lot. Searching with "key shortcut" will give you links to Notebook Shortcuts, Selecting and Typing in Notebooks, etc., which you may find useful.

Posted 10 years ago

I'm sorry for the confusion. The key i'm looking for is "^". The key used to raise a number to an exponent. I see the symbol as the alternative function of the 6 key, but the key shortcuts you said to look up say to use "CTRL + ^" Which does nothing. I see lots of shortcuts using the ctrl key and none of those work for me.

As for this "Help" I can't find anything related to Wolfram Alpha when searching that in Google. Do you mean to search that in Wolfram Alpha itself? I tried that but it just gave me the definition of the word help.

Posted 10 years ago

Do you have the UK / US - Keyboard installed? They are to the right of the 'p'- key

Posted 10 years ago

Yes I have a US keyboard. The keys to the right of the 'p' are just brackets and foward slash. I am on a Mac, does that make a difference?

Josh

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract