View groups...
Share this post:

broken reciprocal unit conversion from mpg to L/100 km

Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Adam Tester
6 Replies
POSTED BY: Udo Krause
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks Udo, I understand dimensional similarity. However, as I pointed out above, WA is smart enough to perform some reciprocal unit conversions. Try "33 mpg in L/km"

Of course, when querying for 33.2 mpg, Wolfram|Alpha tells us among other things that this corresponds to 7.1 L/100 km. enter image description here

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks Ilian, it's an interesting way to input the problem.

There are two things preventing this from happening that I see:

• 100km isn't recognized as a unit by itself
  • MPG and L/100km are inverses of each other and not the same dimensions

So the unit converter won't handle these kinds of queries naturally. This sounds like a great suggestion for how Wolfram|Alpha can be improved.

If you ever see anything that can improved like this, let the Wolfram|Alpha team know in the feedback form at the bottom of the query page next to "Give us your feedback":

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2+100km

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks Sean, but I don't agree with your analysis: 1. Firstly, WA DOES understand reciprocal unit conversions, try "33 mpg in L/km". Neat! 2.. I know "100 km" is not a desirable way of writing a unit, but it is widely used and legislated in Europe and Australia for fuel consumption.

In my analysis, the error occurs because of incorrect operator precedence: WA divides "33 mpg in L" by "100km", which is meaningless. I can't guess why WA behaves correctly with the similar expression "33 mpg in L/km". If WA adopted the following operator precedence, it could parse factor-units like "100km" : 1. prefix-unit (e.g. km). 2. exponentiation (e.g. km^2) 3. factor-unit (e.g. 100 km^2) 4. left-to-right division and multiplication 5. left-to-right addition and subtraction

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract