|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to include a footnote to a graphic?

Posted 10 years ago

Suppose I have a simple ListPlot with a PlotLabel. I'd like to footnote the PlotLabel to include some additional information about the ListPlot. What is best practice for doing this? I basically spent all day trying to do this. Learned a lot, but ultimately failed.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a footnote. I'd be happy with any design that allowed me to expand on PlotLabel and point out some key features in the ListPlot.

Thanks for any help!

Gary

POSTED BY: Gary Lewis
4 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Let's bring this discussion to some closure. I was able to use Isaac's Labeled suggestion to add a footnote to the graphic that originally prompted my question. Attached is a screenshot that shows the result.

One final comment. I would still encourage the Mathematica folks to develop additional flexibility in Labeled. More complicated footnotes than the one I required would be difficult to format with Labeled.

Again, thanks to Isaac Abraham.

Attachments:

Is this acceptable?

Labeled[Plot[ Sin[x], {x, -Pi, 2 Pi}],
     Style["Fig 1: A sinusoid is the projection of a point moving along a circle.",
     (*Options*)
      FontFamily -> "Verdana",
      FontSize   -> 12](*Close Labeled*)]
POSTED BY: Isaac Abraham
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks, Isaac. That's helpful. I did play with Labeled yesterday when I was trying to get something to work with my actual problem, which involves a Manipulate, ListAnimate, GraphicsGrid, Show, and ListPlot. I didn't have any success with that, but I never tried Labeled with the simple Circle and Rectangle example I provided. Today I was "pretty much" able to get Labeled to include footnotes for that (some formatting issues remain).

I'm kind of surprised that Mathematica seems unable to build interrelated graphics and then treat the entire assembly as a unit that could have notes attached. Perhaps it's time for Footnote[expr, ... ] or some such thing.

Thanks, again. I very much appreciate your help. ... Gary

Posted 10 years ago

Here is a specific example in the attached pdf file. It's the closest I can get to something acceptable, but note that it uses a notebook text cell to add the footnotes. What I'd really like is some way to add the footnotes as part of the graphic itself. Any idea? Thanks.

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract