|
18 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Multiple InputFields

Posted 10 years ago

Hi, I was trying to write a code so as to have output multiple dynamic input fields, however when I try to input one field it automatically puts the same value in the other fields, I need them to be input separately. Thanks!

n = 2;
For[i = 0, i <= n + 1, i++
    {Print["\[Rho][", i, "]"], 
     InputField[Dynamic[\[Rho][i]]] // Print};
    ];
POSTED BY: Al Guy
18 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Might it be it's a conflict of multiple dynamics?

You should not use pure functions here since once you execute the checkbos, the following dynamic evaluates the c[Sigma][i] before putting it into the Dynamic. It then is a value rather than an expression.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago
 InputField[Dynamic[#], FieldSize -> 5] &[n]

Dynamic@If[NumberQ[n], 
   Grid@Table[{"\[Rho][" <> ToString[i] <> "]", 
      InputField[Dynamic[#], FieldSize -> 5] &[\[Rho][i]], 
      Checkbox[Dynamic[#]] &[c\[Rho][i]], 
      "\[Sigma][" <> ToString[i] <> "]", 
      InputField[Dynamic[#], FieldSize -> 5] &[\[Sigma][i]], 
      Checkbox[Dynamic[#]] &[c\[Sigma][i]]}, {i, 0, n}] ]

Dynamic[c\[Rho][1]]

When I put them in the package with Print@ it returns an error. So How can I print this from the package or some outside source? It Doesn't work in notebook either.

Posted 10 years ago

Thanks! I wanted to create a checkbox , so when it's checked the variable witll be assigned the value of True and False otherwise, however it returns error.

Checkbox[Dynamic[#]] []] Dynamic[#] []]

Probably I should use radiobutton instead.

Generally the idea of a package is to define functions that you will then call after the package is loaded. But in any event, what is returned when you load a package using either Needs or Get is the result of the last expression that was executed when loaded.

You can certainly use Print in your package code, but it is not advised. It is best to use an approach to architecting your code in Mathematica so as to avoid this approach. It will lead to odd behaviors since you'd be trying to make Print do things it was not designed for.

Posted 10 years ago

Another thing is that I need to output something from the package i write, but unless I use print , it doesn't output into the notebook from where i call the package.

Posted 10 years ago

I understand I should not use Print, but why doesn't it work here? It works without Print

First, I do recommend that you move away from using Print statements. The expression following expression (with out the semicolon) will create the InputField in the output cell that results.

InputField[Dynamic[#], FieldSize -> 5] &[n]

Your second line (aside from it having a Print statement ;-) ) does not work [artially because Dynamic@NumberQ[n] never evaluates as True or False. It is always an expression of the form Dynamic[...]. The sort of thing you are looking for is like the following:

Dynamic@If[NumberQ[n], "I am a number", "I am not a number"]
Posted 10 years ago

Again, I am not sure if you are encountering a bug or the way Enter is used on Windows.

However, generally you do not want to use Enter in the input fields. You just typ in content and the dynamic values are updated. To move from one input field to another you use Tab or click in the new input field. When you do either of these the dynamic values will be updated.

Posted 10 years ago

And this happens only when I use the num keys' enter.

Posted 10 years ago

I am on Windows 7, I restarted it, still same.

Hmmmm.... I do not see that behavior on my system: Mathematica 10 on Mac OSX.

Posted 10 years ago

But I just type a number and press enter, without any shift, and it still does that.

If you press Shift-Enter (or type anything else aside from in an input field) in an Output cell that cell will turn int to an Input Cell. The InputFields that you have created are not intended to be used as an input to be executed using Shift-enter. The when you type content in them they will dynamically update the value of the parameters that they dynamically contain.

Posted 10 years ago

There seems to be some minor issue. When it outputs the fields and I enter number and press "Enter", it takes the whole thing as input and outputs the same fields again. How can I overcome this? Thanks.

Posted 10 years ago

Thank you very much, I appreciate!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract