Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
9 Replies
|
12 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Current CDF Player 9.0.1 Does Not Work With Mathematica 10.0.1!

Posted 10 years ago

I am not yet using any of the new features in 10, but when I save a notebook that contains Manipulates and Dynamic and was created in 10.0,1 to CDF, the CDF displays an error "An unrecognized option name (UndoTrackedVariables) was encountered while reading a DynamicModuleBox" when the CDF is opened in the CDF Player app. However, the error does not appear when it is opened in Mathematica. This error occurs even when no changes have been made to the notebook except that it was originally version 10 and now has been opened in 10.0.1.

Frustrating. Don't know how to fix this.

POSTED BY: Gregory Lypny
9 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

My first try was really to use this script. Unfortunately, it doesn't worked for me and still I don't know why. So, I had to look for alternatives. Basically, I did manually what it is supposed that this script must do.

POSTED BY: Robersy S
Posted 10 years ago

The best solution I found so far (posted here) is:

• In MMA10 export the notebook as CDF (File - CDF Export). Let's say you call it test.cdf and save it in D:\
  • Close the CDF File and, always In MMA 10, open a new notebook (or use an existing one) and paste the code:
cdf = Import["D:\\test.cdf"];
Delete[cdf, Most@Flatten@Position[cdf, UndoTrackedVariables]];
Export["D:\\test_v9.cdf", %]
  • After that you should have a new CDF file (named test_9.cdf and created in D:), compatible with the CDF Player v.9, that shouldn't give you anymore any error message.

As for the next update of the CDF Player (to a version compatible with MMA10), it should happen soon, at least according to the last post in this thread

POSTED BY: Luca M

"4) Next, the cdf can be open with CDF Player 9. You will see the beeping: "This notebook was created in a more recent version of Mathematica, and may not function properly with the older front end you are using. Contact Wolfram Research (www.wolfram.com) for upgrade information." But that's okay too, the CDF normally work without any problem with normal environment, at least for me."

No it's not okay! For readers it immediately throws a cloud of doubt over the entire document.

Posted 10 years ago

This beeping is normally displayed when we are dealing with different versions, and it does not means that there is something wrong, but it is just a warning about that some functionality can be missed. However, the fact that there is not CDF Player for Mathematica 10 implies that even the best approach to solve the problem will have to deal with this beeping.

Nevertheless, I agree with you, for readers it immediately throws a cloud of doubt over the entire document. But it is out of our will, it is an issue for Wolfram's guys!

Posted 10 years ago

The following worked for me:

1) Export your CDF/nb as Standalone: File -> CDF Export -> Standalone

2) Open the standalone CDF with any text editor (I used Notepad++) and automatically replace all the instructions: "UndoTrackedVariables:>{Typesetshow$$, TypesetbookmarkMode$$}," (without quotation marks, but including the comma at the end) by empty-space. That is, simply delete them and save the document.

3) Open the CDF with Mathematica 10. You will see the beeping: "The file you are opening appears to have been edited outside of the Wolfram System. The file outline cache was ignored. This should not affect any of the contents of the file." . That's okay, just click OK and next save the CDF Standalone as CDF: File-> Save as (*.cdf)

4) Next, the cdf can be open with CDF Player 9. You will see the beeping: "This notebook was created in a more recent version of Mathematica, and may not function properly with the older front end you are using. Contact Wolfram Research (www.wolfram.com) for upgrade information." But that's okay too, the CDF normally work without any problem with normal environment, at least for me.

Hope this could help

Posted 10 years ago

Please!!!!!!!!

Need to deploy to my boss.

But can't.

POSTED BY: Paul Nielan

I am not sure what's happening with CDFPlayer. There is nothing on http://www.wolfram.com/cdf-player/ to indicate that a V10 compatible version is on its way...

Perhaps someone from WRI could comment?

An option that you may have for your clients and students is a cloud deployment of your CDFs. I don't know what the issues might be though in terms of credits as well as different functionality on the cloud vs having a Mathematica Kernel and FrontEnd running on your local CPU...

POSTED BY: David Reiss

UndoTrackedVariables is an option associated with the new Undo/Redo functionality in version 10. When you execute a Manipulate command, the resulting internals of the Cell that displays the Manipulate has in it the UndoTrackedVariables option. This is what the version 9 CDFPlayer is generating an error mesage for,

For example, the following Manipulate

Manipulate[x, {x, 1, 2}]

has as its output cell expression

Cell[BoxData[
   TagBox[
     StyleBox[
       DynamicModuleBox[{$CellContext`x$$ = 1, Typeset`show$$ = True, 
      Typeset`bookmarkList$$ = {}, 
          Typeset`bookmarkMode$$ = "Menu", Typeset`animator$$, 
      Typeset`animvar$$ = 1, Typeset`name$$ = 
           "\"untitled\"", Typeset`specs$$ = {{
               Hold[$CellContext`x$$], 1, 2}}, 
      Typeset`size$$ = {8., {0., 9.}}, Typeset`update$$ = 0, 
          Typeset`initDone$$, 
      Typeset`skipInitDone$$ = True, $CellContext`x$2065$$ = 0}, 
         DynamicBox[Manipulate`ManipulateBoxes[
            1, StandardForm, "Variables" :> {$CellContext`x$$ = 1}, 
       "ControllerVariables" :> {
                 Hold[$CellContext`x$$, $CellContext`x$2065$$, 0]}, 
             "OtherVariables" :> {
                Typeset`show$$, Typeset`bookmarkList$$, 
         Typeset`bookmarkMode$$, Typeset`animator$$, 
                 Typeset`animvar$$, Typeset`name$$, Typeset`specs$$, 
         Typeset`size$$, Typeset`update$$, 
                 Typeset`initDone$$, Typeset`skipInitDone$$}, 
       "Body" :> $CellContext`x$$, 
             "Specifications" :> {{$CellContext`x$$, 1, 2}}, 
       "Options" :> {}, "DefaultOptions" :> {}],
           ImageSizeCache -> {247., {49., 54.}},
           SingleEvaluation -> True],
         Deinitialization :> None,
         DynamicModuleValues :> {},
         SynchronousInitialization -> True,
         UndoTrackedVariables :> {Typeset`show$$, 
       Typeset`bookmarkMode$$},
         UnsavedVariables :> {Typeset`initDone$$},
         UntrackedVariables :> {Typeset`size$$}], "Manipulate",
       Deployed -> True,
       StripOnInput -> False],
     Manipulate`InterpretManipulate[1]]], "Output"]
POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks David,

I guess there is no fix until Wolfram releases an new CDF Player app. As long as I know so that I can explain to my students and clients.

Gregory

POSTED BY: Gregory Lypny
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract