Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
7 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Problem with RandomVariate in Mathematica 10 (and 9) Is it a bug?

Hello,

I have a problema with RandomVariate in Mathematica 10 and 9, in the sense that for a specific distribution constructed by myself, the RandomVariate sample does not follow the distribution the sample comes from.

I would like to discard that it be a specific problem of my machine or my installation.

Thus I would be grateful if anyone of you could run the attached notebook with Mathematica 10 and send it back to me. I have scanned the notebook and it is free from viruses according to my antivirus.

Thanks in advance, Arturo Ramos

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Arturo Ramos
7 Replies

A developer gave me this suggestion,
= = =
He is attempting to use ProbabilityDistribution to model a mix of non-overlapping distributions.

His distribution is equivalent to

spd = SplicedDistribution[{0.03673118299607324`, 0.8606546277105262`,
   0.10261418929340049`}, {0, 151, 12846,
   Infinity}, {PowerDistribution[1/151, 1.8923],
   BetaPrimeDistribution[1, 2701/10000, 5000/3333,
    495.9127480196388`], ParetoDistribution[12846, 3253/2500]}];

Now the sampling is faster and is more precise:

In[317]:= AbsoluteTiming[mpf = RandomVariate[spd, 10^6];]

Out[317]= {1.190119, Null} 

= = =

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

Thanks Bruce,

It is another good idea to take into account.

You can always make a function that is hard to numerically integrate. In such a case, it's sometimes hard to know whether you should consider it to be a bug or not. Similarly, it is always possible to make a PDF that doesn't get sampled well enough at the tails with RandomVariate for numerical reasons. And it's hard to know whether it should be considered a bug or not. There isn't a always a clear yes or no answer.

It looks like it's not RandomVariate isn't sampling well at some very extreme tails. If you ask it to make the ProbabilityDistribution of f[Exp[x]] Exp[x] instead of f to make the tails more reasonable, everything seems to work fine.

There's a couple of things you can try here to help this to work. The first I would try is to rewrite as a Piecewise function. The function f seems numerically complicated and this should help simplify things down a bit. Can you reproduce the problem with simpler values?

The function f doesn't integrate easily with NIntegrate. This might be better fixed by using a Piecewise function If something is difficult to numerically integrate (say with NIntegrate) it stands to reason that you'd have a hard time making a very good random number generator from it.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

Thanks a lot Sean,

You have given me a pair of good ideas and now I could write my code more efficiently adapted to the mathematics in play.

In fact, with the Exp transformation anything works well and the Piecewise command is something I will try.

Thanks again!

Best, Arturo

Here you go! Same result as you, it appears.

In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= "10.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (June 29, 2014)"
Attachments:
POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

Thanks a lot Jesse, you have been of great help!.

Best, Arturo

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract