Message Boards Message Boards

How to FTP from Mathematica

Posted 10 years ago

I am looking for advice on how to FTP files and directories directly from Mathematica. As far as I know, Mathematica does not have an internal FTP capability. I presumably could figure out how to use ftp or sftp from my Mac and write a Mathematica function that makes use of Run to do this. But I'd prefer something more Mathematica-like and cross-platform. I assume this could all be done using Java FTP librarites via JLink... but I know nothing about Java (well very little) and don't want to use anything that I cannot both debug and extend on my own...

So, thoughts? Is this in the queue for WRI to add to Mathematica sometime down the road?

There is some discussion in Mathematica Stackexchange here

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/10041/automating-ftp-upload-within-mathematica

which I am trying to parse...

POSTED BY: David Reiss
5 Replies

David, I have been also searching for something to FTP within Mathematica but decided to resolve it by creating a drive letter as a mapping to the FTP location. This can be done remarkably easy (in windows) with the free tool DirectNet Drive. Hope this helps.

Thanks Rodrigo, I will try it out! Thanks.

Hi David,

See this SE post with Rolf Mertig FTP solution for Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Rodrigo Murta

Unfortunately that's not what I am searching for. They require that I set set up an external ftp or sftp process on my machine rather than have it handled with an internal Mathematica function that is specifically configured to do the FTP (similar to SendMail, for example). I could take this route, but that is in essence writing a Mathematica function to do this (calling the external process) myself, and it would not be cross-platform.

All of these CallingExternalPrograms is not yet enough?

POSTED BY: Udo Krause
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract