15 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica Online, all plot functions don't work

Posted 10 years ago

Hi,

I'm using Mathematica Online with OS X Yosemite. Access to Mathematica Online is fine, but plotting doesn't work. Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}] gives "Null" as result, but no plot appears on the screen. I have tested this with browsers Safari and Chrome. Any idea?

UPDATE 27th October: == The problem could be solved, in the meanwhile (see details below in this thread). In short, for those who have the same problem: the "Output Cell Format" in the "Preferences->Evaluation" dialog need to be set to "Automic" or "Always use interactive boxes" (but not "Always use bitmaps").

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Florian Wagner
15 Replies

Just out of curiosity, If you have desktop Mathematica 10 then inside of Mathematica try evaluating

CloudEvaluate[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}]]
POSTED BY: David Reiss

Yes that's puzzling. Perhaps a Wolfram person on here can check this.

Yes, that's the one I used, as well as a few others....

Posted 10 years ago

Hm, maybe you are running on a different server. I'm located in Europe, I suppose you are in the US. Maybe I'll just have to be patient.

No, that's not it. I am siting in Europe, too, (Yosemite, MMA online), and the plotting feature works just fine. No problem at all.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 10 years ago

OK. Here is a screenshot from the ThingsToTryMathematicaOnline when I evaluate a cell containing Plot: Screenshot of broken Plot command

What else might be the root cause? As I wrote earlier, the problem is also there if I use a different computer with a different operating system and a different browser.

That is puzzling indeed. I have just run exactly the same notebook and it works without any problem. It is curious that you have the same problem on different computers with different browsers. So what is the common feature that could cause problems with all these systems. Are you always using the same internet access, i.e. the same network?

Would you mind trying out the Wolfram Programming Cloud? You can sign up for a free account. The WPC also uses the full Wolfram Language, and it should run the same command. Could you try that out?

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 10 years ago

OK, I ran the Plot function within Programming Cloud with the same result. Plot error

I ran the tests all via the same internet connection. Last week I plotted several graphs without a problem.

Just, for my information, what generates the Null, is it the browser or the server?

Ok. This is quite funny. I would think that Null is kernel rather than browser; but the internet is the only common factor...

Could you try

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 10 years ago

Unfortunately this command is also not working. To run the test I have used a PC with Windows 7, Firefox 33 and a different internet connection compared to yesterday evening. The result is as follows:

![enter image description here][1]

From my point of view, the following root causes have been eliminated by cross checking: - operating system: tested on Windows 7 and OSX Yosemite - browser: tested on Firefox, Chrome and Safari - Internet connection: tested with TV cable connection and mobile connection

Maybe it's a problem with my account?

Posted 10 years ago

There is a bug, but not one specific to your account.

In your Preferences, Evaluation tab, "Always use bitmaps" is checked. The bug is in the bitmap generation for any Graphics or Graphics3D primitive in the particular case where this option is selected. This would include Plots. This bug will be fixed in our next release, but for now just check "Automatic" or "Always use interactive boxes" for this setting and Graphics/Graphics3D should work as expected.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

POSTED BY: John Pacey
Posted 10 years ago

Hi John,

thanks for the reply. This finally solved my problem!

Posted 10 years ago

Hi David, thanks for the response. Did you use this code snippet? Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}]

The strange thing is that other graphic features are working, e.g. Random RandomGraph[{100,200}] is fine.

It works fine for me.

Posted 10 years ago

Hi,

I also tested this with Windows 7 on another PC with Firefox with the same result, plotting is not possible. Seems to be a problem with Mathematica Online.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract