|
12 Replies
|
9 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Bug in Exporting a PDF

Dear All,

I was wondering if I'm the only one with this bug. I'm using Mathematica 10.0.1.0 on OSX Yosemite.

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, Frame -> True, 
 FrameLabel -> {None, "\!\(\*FractionBox[\(a\), \(b\)]\)"}]
Export["Sine.pdf", %];

This should output a plot of sine of x, with a framelabel of a over b. For me the line between the numerator and denominator (the bar or vinculum) is missing:

enter image description here

Any thoughts? or ways around this problem?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
12 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I get the same on Yosemite 10.10.3. Very frustrating!

POSTED BY: oliver
Posted 10 years ago

Nope. Doesn't work. I can change the background to a zillion different colours and opacities except for transparent!

POSTED BY: Gregory Lypny
Posted 10 years ago

Okay, how do I submit a bug report?

Send email via http://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/email/?topic=Technical . Special cases may send ordinary email to support@wolfram.com. Include your Activation Key or License number and the OS level.
Mentioning CASE:1868509 in the report(s) about PDF export is probably helpful.

One topic per email, please. Clear examples are helpful.

About sending PDF to a Windows user - we have found the quality of PDF rendering varies a lot among PDF viewers.

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Posted 10 years ago

PDF is still broken in 10.0.2.0! I used to be able to use Copy As... "PDF" and paste plots into Keynote presentations. No more. I can use the Export function to export plots as PDF, and it works fine except that I need the background of the plots to be transparent. I tried using Background->Transparent, but that doesn't work. Any suggestions as to how I can get PDFs of plots with transparent backgrounds?

Background -> None ?

If you use the OS to print a PDF, the label works fine, so the issue is in the Mathematica PDF engine.

You're correct, hopefully they'll fix this soon!

Regards,

Sander

Posted 10 years ago

I've encountered the bug too. I use the most recent version of Mathematica with Yosemite. When I print to PDF, and then view the PDF in Preview, the plots are messed up but, interestingly, they are fine in the thumbnails. But there is another problem with Mathematica's PDF that is worse. When I print a hard copy of a PDF, it prints fine, even the messed up plots, but when I email one to a Windows user, they cannot print it at all. This has happened with two Windows users, and I have confirmed that they are able to print other non-Mathematica PDFs that I create and send to them. I've attached my buggy PDF if you care to look.

How can I contact Wolfram to report the bug to reinforce what you have reported? I too hope that Wolfram will fix the problem soon because the current CDF Player is incompatible, i.e., dynamic things like Manipulate, with the newest version of Mathematica, and without the PDF engine broke, I am struggling to share documents with my students, colleagues, and clients.

Sincerely,

Gregory

Attachments:

I think the only way is:

1. to put more posts/views here to this thread so it might get noticed by a wolfram employee.
  2. Submit a bugreport again and maybe note that the identifier is: CASE:1868509 so that they are grouped together somehow.
Posted 10 years ago

I get the same output from version 10.0.1 under Win7 x64. Obviously it is a regression bug.

POSTED BY: Alexey Popkov

I submitted this bug to Wolfram. If two people have this problem on different operating systems, then probably it is a real bug... Thanks for trying!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract