Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 10 not responding with Manipulations built in v8, why?

I have many animations and manipulations that I created in Mathematica 8 for my class notes. They worked very smoothly in Mathematica 8 and in Mathematica 9. However, now in Mathematica 10 when I try and run the same slides with manipulations, Mathematica 10 stops responding and/or crashes. Could anyone point me to a reason, or better yet a solution?

POSTED BY: Wayne Weaver
8 Replies

The reason for the Kernel lockup in the example code seems to be the set of evaluations preceding the graphics. In that set of evaluations there are a number of cases of a replacement rule with the parameter alpha. In some of those cases, the right hand side of that replacement rule involves theta, which is one of the user interface parameters. Thus the initial set of evaluations is continually reevaluated by the kernel because of this. Using the TrackedSymbols option obviates this, I believe.

POSTED BY: David Reiss

Note that in all of Mathematica 8, 9, and 10, the example (without the TrackedSymbols option) is constantly running the Kernel. This is usually an indication that the code needs to be reviewed to determine what the Manipulate is in a constant evaluation loop with. So, I would look to this issue first in modifying your examples (if indeed they all have this behavior which is exhibited by the example).

Duplicated here. I can report it to developers; I do not know how soon a workaround suggestion would be available.

(P.s., It just sits with 10.0 on Windows, but moves, jerkily, with 10.0 on MacOS. The SynchronousUpdating option did not help.)

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

I will take a look at this some more later on... but one thing that I noticed at first when executing your Manipulate code in a separate notebook (both on version 9 and 10) is that the cell bracket is always hi-lighted, indicating that the Kernel is constantly updating your Manipulate even though it is not being interacted with. This is fixed, I believe in this particular case, by adding a TrackedSymbols option for the variables that you are changing:

TrackedSymbols -> {\[Theta], a, b, c, vs}

See if this makes a difference to your example and let me know.

By the way, I really like the design of your visualization....

I found TrackedSymbols, too, long after DR. For me (Windows and Mac) with 10.0.1, the hands still don't move as smoothly as with 9.

It may be a case where the code needs to be pulled out of the Manipulate and timed to see what slowed down. In my court, but I won't object if someone wants to try it and report back.

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

Thanks for looking into this. I spent A LOT of time several years ago making this and many other animations and manipulations for my course notes, and now they are pretty much useless in v10. Any work-around or fix would be greatly appreciated.

David,

Attached is a slide from my course notes that locks up Mathematica 10 on every machine I have tried it on. I know it is probably not the most efficiently coded, but I made it (an many others) in Mathematica 8 and it use to run very smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Attachments:

Perhaps provide an example or two? It is very hard to debug something without a test case.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract