|
5 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

BeagleBone Mathematica

Posted 10 years ago

Would it be possible to add the functionality of the Raspberry Pi's mathematica onto a Beaglebone Black? If so, how? Thank you very help.

POSTED BY: William O'Brien
5 Replies

I was in a beta program where I was running Mathematica on my BeagleBone. The program has ended and I don't know the status of Mathematica on the Bone.

--Mark

POSTED BY: Mark Yoder
Posted 10 years ago

After researching some more, I found that Wolfram actually was making a Mathematica release for arm that would work on the Beaglebone, and to email prerelease@wolfram.com and ask about it. I did, and I haven't gotten a response back yet...

Well I'm certainly interested in learning if this works out, and if the better specs of BBB actually have a noticeable impact on Mathematica performance (I'm doubtful). Also, I know that the recommendation is 0.5 GB for Mathematica, I've run in to problems during install, suggesting that there's a fair amount of temporary files that make 4 GB a tight squeeze.

POSTED BY: BoB LeSuer

Just speculation, in an attempt to get the conversation going. Both systems run Debian, so getting the wolfram-engine package to install shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming that ARM v7 is backwards compatible (RPi uses v6). The biggest problem may be disk storage. On a 4GB SD card with the RPi, I ran into disk-full errors when trying to install on anything but a fresh Raspian image.

Do you have a BBB to play with or are you considering a purchase?

POSTED BY: BoB LeSuer
Posted 10 years ago

Considering a purchase. Considering that the Mathematica on Raspbian only reccomends having half a gigabyte of storage for mathematica, storage shouldn't be an issue. The main reason I would like to use a Beaglebone is because the Beaglebone has much better specs than the Raspi, and not much more expensive.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract