0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Analysis with more variables

Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Iris Fox
4 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

There is the arithmetic mean/geometric mean inequality that will show for positive real numbers that the maximum product is no larger than (S/n)^n where S is the sum of the numbers (matching your (100/n)^n). (Google will find this.) The proof for that inequality might suggest a way to go.

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin

Perhaps you could start with all the variables being the same and then showing that changing a pair of them lowers the product.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 10 years ago

Yes, they should all be the same, that is, when they are integers. For 2 numbers, you'll have 50 and 50 and for three, it'll be 100/3 each. Then it seems logical to me, that for n numbers, the formula to calculate the product, is (100/n)^n The maximum value for n turns out te be 37 and the corresponding maximum product 9.474*10^15 But....that's only if n can be real valued.

If n can only be an integer, I think the maximum product should be 3^32*2^2, so I used 32 three's and 2 two's. But is that for sure and how can I check that? I think I should use something like number theory as well., but have no idea how...

POSTED BY: Iris Fox

I'm assuming the numbers are all positive. Won't they all be the same if they're not integers?

In[6]:= Maximize[{Times @@ Array[x, 3], (Plus @@ Array[x, 3]) == 100, 
  Thread[Array[x, 3] > 0]}, Array[x, 3]]

Out[6]= {1000000/27, {x[1] -> 100/3, x[2] -> 100/3, x[3] -> 100/3}}

In[7]:= Maximize[{Times @@ Array[x, 3], (Plus @@ Array[x, 3]) == 100, 
  Thread[Array[x, 3] > 0]}, Array[x, 3], Integers]

Out[7]= {37026, {x[1] -> 33, x[2] -> 33, x[3] -> 34}}
POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract