Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Ways to manipulate the wind and weather data that Wolfram Alpha offers?

Posted 10 years ago

I am a new user. I am interested in using Wolfram Alpha to manipulate weather data, in particular historical wind speeds and forecasts for certain locations on the Great Plains.

I have been able to pull basic wind data and forecasts, for example using the following query: wind speed dec. 15, 2014 "city clayton, nm" vs "city guymon, ok"

I have two questions.

1. Is it possible for me to search for locations, within a region, where the wind is forecast to be the strongest? Something like: highest wind speed in new mexico on dec. 15,2014 . My searches like this aren't returning the data I need.

2. Where can I learn more about the weather data that Wolfram Alpha is working with? So that I have a better sense of the parameters I can manipulate and use to search.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best, Theo

POSTED BY: T Stroomer
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Wow, that is a beautiful website :P I'll have a good look at it later, if I find a way to pull in the data with an ETL package it may be a more elegant solution. Many thanks.

POSTED BY: Theo Brayord
Posted 9 years ago

I didn't find any more information on making better use of the search engine here.

What I did track down was a site for forecasting and visualizing wind data. Current data and weeklong forecasts work beautifully; it can pull historical data and show you a visualization but I find this feature is still buggy, or at least hangs when you go digging into the past.

The creator, surely, could tell you a lot about how he manipulates publicly-available data. The site is windyty.com . There is an active Facebook page you can use to get in touch.

POSTED BY: T Stroomer
Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Theo Brayord
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract