Message Boards Message Boards

How could I have an image of a plane move as I adjust some sliders.

Posted 10 years ago

What I want to do, Is have an image of a sloped 3d plane that a can move with sliders, I want to be able to adjust the amount of slope that the plane has, the height of it, and finaly, maybe rotate it by having sliders named to the latter.

I want to get the value of these sliders after I have the shape of the plane that I wanted, and then use these values to calculate a "would be" sum of squares, I am having trouble understanding the documentation for this, I cant seem to make even simple changes work even though I understand how a value would effect the shape of a plane.

So something like this, how exactly would I have the plane move as I adjusted the sliders, so for example a slider labeled intercept would raise or lower the intercept of the plane.

x0 := 0;
y0 := 0;
z0 := 0;

Manipulate[  F[x_, y_] := (a+SLIDERVALUE1 x0 + b+SLIDERVALUE2, y0 + c+SLIDERVALUE3 z0 - a x - b y)/c;

Plot3D[F[x, y], {x, -2, 5}, {y, -2, 10}, AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]  ]
POSTED BY: jethro holcroft
2 Replies

Try something like this

Manipulate[
 Plot3D[1 - x/a - y/b, {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10}, 
  AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}], {a, -5, 5}, {b, -5, 5}]
POSTED BY: S M Blinder
Posted 10 years ago

Okay thank you thats nice and simple, I hope to use the x and y coefficients to calculate a sum of squares using data from a 3d table, should the calculations be within the square brackets? or would it be to much work for the processor and im better of having a button activate the summing method using the coefficients, real time would be best, but would it be slow?

POSTED BY: jethro holcroft
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract