1 Reply
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Running Mathematica on a Raspberry Pi from a Mac

Posted 9 years ago

If you don’t have Mathematica on your computer, you can still use it to run Mathemtica on a Raspberry Pi.

The trick is to use VNC, and works from any computer with a terminal and a VNC viewer. I am only familiar with Macs and iPads, which have them. Ideas are taken from

http://whatapalaver.co.uk/2013/12/controlling-raspberry-pi-from-ipad/

You need to know the IP address of your Pi. I found mine with Preferences/WiFi Configuration. My Pi has IP 192.168.0.41 .

I just set up a new Raspberry Pi 2. All of the following can be done from your computer.

From a terminal on your computer, log into your Pi with

ssh pi:192.168.0.41 (use your IP, of course)

with password raspberry.

If you haven’t done it, upgrade the Wolfram engine with

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine

Install tightvncserver with

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

A password has to be chosen. Not knowing anything, I chose raspberry. Start tightvncserver with

tightvncserver

Install the free VNC Viewer (or other VNC viewer) on your computer. Start it and connnect to the VNC server (use your IP)

192.168.0.41:5901

giving the VNC password. The Desktop of your Pi magically opens up on your computer. You can now run Mathematica (or any other Pi program). You no longer need a monitor for your Pi. The steps are log into the Pi, start tightvncserver, then connect with VNC Viewer.

(A link on the above link explains how to eliminate the first step and auto-start tightvncserver when the Pi is booted.)

POSTED BY: Roger Kirchner
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Roger. Works like a charm!

POSTED BY: antonio s
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract