Message Boards Message Boards

UI unable to render after installing student version on Windows 7

Posted 9 years ago

Hi

I have a Windows 7 64 bit OS and I installed Mathematica 10 (student version) on it yesterday. However, if I try launching the application, the UI doesn't render. I get a grayed out screen with a poplist that doesn't work! I attach a snippet of the UI for reference. Has anyone encountered this problem earlier? What's the way out?

Thanks! Prashant

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Prashant
5 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Jesse, Yes initially the CDF was not there on my machine. uninstalling CDF or installing it didn't make any difference!

But, thanks to Sean. His tip indeed worked out. Instead of deleting the files, I played with the mathpass (licensing file) in the ProgramData folder. I physically entered my license details into it and tried running Mathematica, and lo behold! The activation screen was up. The mathpass in the ProgramData folder had the details of my earlier mathematica (version 6) without being overwritten by the details of mathematica 10 when I installed it (after uninstalling the earlier version). A strange error, but thanks once again to Sean.

I recommend contacting Wolfram Technical Support about this problem. I'm fairly certain they've seen this issue before.

That said, you probably can solve the problem by following this article: http://support.wolfram.com/kb/12464. In particular, you want to remove the files:

• C:\ProgramData\Mathematica
  • C:\Users\YourUserNameOnTheComputer\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica

This should reset Mathematica so to speak. When you start Mathematica you'll be asked for your activiation key. Again, if you have any problems beyond this, definitely contact Wolfram Technical Support.

http://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Jesse, I have CDF Player installed. I tried uninstalling and installing Mathematica 10.0.2 multiple times. The problem persists!

Have you tried uninstalling CDF player? My theory is that for some reason the kernel is trying to render the welcome screen notebook through CDF Player, where it is barred due to dynamic content restrictions.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

Thats quite a curious problem. Do you have Wolfram CDF Player installed? If so, I suggest you try uninstalling it and uninstalling and reinstalling Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract