|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

boundary for waves in a cantilever with endmass

Posted 9 years ago

Hello,

I am currently trying to solve the 1D wave equation for longitudinal waves in a cantilever (BOUN2) with an endmass (BOUN1). The entire system is at rest (INIT1) and is excited with an initial velocity at t=0 at the free end (INIT2). I am unable to generate a solution. With simpler boundary conditions the system is solvable here i am getting the error that INIT2 is not specified on the boundary of the domain. This should yield a fourier series. Could someone help me with the proper definition of the boundary?

c=1;
   k=1;
   L=1;
   v=1;
   BOUN1= k*Derivative[0, 2][u][L, t] + Derivative[1, 0][u][L, t] == 0;
   BOUN2= u[0, t] == 0;
   INIT1= u[x, 0] == 0;
   INIT2 = Derivative[0, 1][u][L, 0] == -v ;
   DEQN1 = D[u[x, t], {x, 2}] - c*D[u[x, t], {t, 2}] == 0;
   solution1= 
   NDSolveValue[{DEQN1, BOUN1, BOUN2, INIT1, INIT2 }, u, {x, 0, L}, {t, 0, 0.00019}]
   Plot[solution1[L, t], {t, 0, 0.00019}, PlotRange -> All]
POSTED BY: Stephan G
3 Replies

No problem, INIT2 also has a problem as you define a initial condition only at a point in space but it needs a definition for all x. BTW, you probably can find the analytic solution in MM as well using Solve

POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you! Sometimes the easiest solution to a problem is bluntly overlooked. It did not even occur to me to split it up because I was able to solve the system on a piece of paper. I'll implement that now and hopefully resolve this issue.

POSTED BY: Stephan G

Stephan, Without deriving equations, it seems your boundary conditions are not consistent. I would suggest to set up two differential equations - one for the beam and one for the mass separately. Of course a force would couple the equations. BOUN1 - you can't have a second derivative in a boundary condition if the differential equation is second order

POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract