|
7 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

error running CDF's using V10 plugin with Firefox 36, on windows 7, 64 bit

Posted 9 years ago

Since I installed CDF 10 on windows 7, 64 bit, I am not able to run any CDF inside Firefox.

I can run the CDF ok from Chrome version 40 and also IE, but not with FF 36. I have uninstalled all the CDF players I have, did fresh install of CDF player 10 software. Cleared all cache from FF, restarted it many time, and still I get same error.

enter image description here

Does CDF player keep an error log file somewhere to try to see why it fails? anyone else with same setup can run CDF ok from FF? I pick any CDF from http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/?source=nav and get same error from each one.

update: Thanks to instructions by Pieter van Bijnen below. Here is the CDF crash report from firefox. This happens each try I try to run a CDF from inside the browser. On FF 36 and FF 37 beta as well. On windows 7.

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
7 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I hadn't that problem with Mathematica v10.0.2 but I have it now with the last Mathematica v10.1.0 (Windows 8.1/Firefox 36.0.4). It seems that Mathematica 10.1.0 has installed a new plugin npmathplugin.dll in the folder *c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wolfram Research\Browser\10.1.0.5292844* and that's the one reported by Firefox (about:plugins):

Wolfram Mathematica
    File: npmathplugin.dll
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wolfram Research\Browser\10.1.0.5292844\npmathplugin.dll
    Version: 10.1.30746.62445

I've tried to change the npmathplugin.dll file with the one that was installed by the previous Mathematica v.10.0.2, fished out from a recent HD backup. The folder was then *C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wolfram Research\Browser\10.0.2.5203600* and it was removed with the installation of v. 10.1.0.

The result is that the previous npmathplugin.dll (the one coming with v.10.0.2) works again in Firefox (i.e. I can load and see in the browser the Demonstrations of Wolfram Demonstrations Project).

So I suppose that Mathematica 10.1.0 installs a browser plugin that's not actually compatible with Firefox.

One thing to try could be uninstall the Mathematica Extras coming with Mathematica 10.1.0 and maybe reinstall the last CDF Player (it should restore the previous plugin).

The working npmathplugin.dll has size 4285720, while the not working npmathplugin.dll has size 4285744

EDIT - UPDATE

After restoring the npmathplugin.dll file (the one installed by Mathematica 10.1.0) and checking again the plugin works again, so all I wrote before doesn't actually apply.

That's sort of a mistery. Maybe the problem is in Firefox cache. I'm very puzzled and confused.

POSTED BY: Luca M

according to time stamp, I downloaded it on 2/6/2015 at 4:06 AM central time

Is Firefox running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode?

According to the target on my icon, it says

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" so it is 32 bit. I have no control over this, Firefox asks if I want to update and I click yes and it does its thing.

When did you download the CDF Player installer? Two weeks ago a Firefox-compatible CDF Player installer went into the User Portal for downloading.

Is Firefox running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? The plug-in needs 32-bit. See
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1028263

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

Goto: hamburger menu, click question mark, troubleshooting information, click crash reports, click a Report ID and wait until it finds the report (tries to find it every 30 sec).

crash reporter says:

Is there a crash report generated on windows for CDF crash? Can you please show where it is located? or how did you find the CDF crashed? thanks

I can confirm Firefox 36 has a problem with CDF. It seems to finish loading then stops. The crash reporter says: ExceptionAccessViolation_Read and a lot more... In other browsers everything works fine.

Posted 9 years ago

I have no problem with FF 35.0.1 and I see the same version number of the CDF plugin. Is the plugin enabled in FF Add-ons Manager-Plugins?

Supposing you are on Windows, have you tried quitting Mathematica through the small icon in the notification area? I think that the plugin doesn't work if there's some Mathematica kernel active (or launched by the Mathematica program or, maybe, left running from some other browser).

POSTED BY: Luca M
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract