1 Reply
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Differential Equations solver issues

Posted 9 years ago

Hello I have been having trouble with the differential equations solving applications. For instance on the D.E. 4y''-4y' +y = e^(x/2)sqrt(1-x^2), The step by step solution seems to have it correct until it simplifies Yp(X). http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4y%27%27-4y%27%2By+%3D+e%5E%28x%2F2%29sqrt%281-x%5E2%29 Here is the link to the equation. How does YpX simplify that dramatically? I even typed the simplified equation in question right into the wolfram alpha engine and it simplified it differently. (It simplified it exactly the way i did it by hand) Therefore is there a step missing in the step by step solution? Or is there something wrong with the algorithm? I will humbly accept any mathematical criticism for being wrong. I am not saying that Wolfram Alpha is wrong, (most likely myself) however It would be nice if someone would look at it.

POSTED BY: Shena Kensak

Are you referring to "The particular solution is thus: " to "Simplify"? The solution is correct by factoring out $1/24 \times e^{x/2}$ then you just combine the terms with the same exponential or radical factors:

radical

I guess you may have overlooked the simplified form of Sqrt[1-x^2]^(3/2).

POSTED BY: Shenghui Yang
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract