4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Currency Symbols

Posted 9 years ago

Hello All,

Within Mathematica/Alpha, how do I get a list of currency symbols? i.e. GBP, USD etc

I can find bits in the documentation to query against a known given currency symbol, but how would i get a list of currencies that wolfram knows about?

And would I be able to produce a subset of "currency symbols for Europe" for example?

Thanks John

POSTED BY: john wylie
4 Replies

This is really interesting, I have also took this up to my professor who is also using mathematica, thanks for making it more clearer for me. - Paramount Song

That gives you a list, but things are quite a bit murkier, since Mathematica accepts other input and displays the results in yet different ways. Try this:

CurrencyConvert[Quantity[100, "\[Euro]"], "?"]

Perhaps the list you found could be considered Mathematica's internal standard.

POSTED BY: John Doty

There are really two questions here, I think:

As far as displaying the symbols, Mathematica uses Unicode, so the table at http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U20A0.pdf is relevant. See the second page for a list of currency symbols outside the 20A0 block. I don't believe Mathematica generally "knows" these represent currency, they are just characters it's prepared to use.

As far a currency units in its external databases, I don't know if it's even possible to run the heuristics by which it deduces units in reverse and get a list of possible inputs. This is surely a moving target.

POSTED BY: John Doty
Posted 9 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps Im asking the wrong question, I was looking for a list of currency abbreviations i.e. USD(United States Dollar), GBP(Great British Pound) etc. Sorry to confuse with calling them symbols.

So rethinking my question - and incase its of any use to someone else -- I have rephrased the query to Alpha and I do see to get a result when i enter "list of currency code" as a query.

Don't know if this is the best way to do this, but experimenting with the interface, I found I can copy the computable data text (in Mathematica) that gives:

WolframAlpha["list of currency code", {{"PropertyRanking:CountryData", 1}, "ComputableData"}]

So looking at my second part of the question - "How do i just grab a subset of currencies for Europe?", I ask Alpha for "countries in europe" and get a list of results and even a nice graphical wold map representation.

I also can then grab the computable data string

WolframAlpha["countries in europe", {{"Result", 1}, "ComputableData"}, PodStates -> {"ResultMore", "ResultMore"}]

And I get a List of results, and I now have two set of results.

Next step is to figure out how to do grab the intersection of the data sets to give me the code for just Europe.

But rethinking my query I try to get the precise result in one query:

WolframAlpha["list of currency code in europe", {{"PropertyRanking:CountryData", 1}, "ComputableData"}]

And the heavy lifting is done for me and I get to what I was looking for:

{{"Albania", "ALL"}, {"Andorra", "EUR"}, {"Austria", "EUR"}, {"Belarus", "BYR"}, {"Belgium", "EUR"}, {"Bosnia and Herzegovina", "BAM"}, {"Bulgaria", "BGN"}, {"Croatia", "HRK"}, {"Cyprus", "EUR"}, {"Czech Republic", "CZK"}, {"Denmark", "DKK"}, {"Estonia", "EUR"}, {"Faroe Islands", "DKK"}, {"Finland", "EUR"}, {"France", "EUR"}, {"Germany", "EUR"}, {"Gibraltar", "GIP"}, {"Greece", "EUR"}, {"Guernsey", "GBP"}, {"Hungary", "HUF"}, {"Iceland", "ISK"}, {"Ireland", "EUR"}, {"Isle of Man", "IMP"}, {"Italy", "EUR"}, {"Jersey", "GBP"}, {"Kosovo", "EUR"}, {"Latvia", "EUR"}, {"Liechtenstein", "CHF"}, {"Lithuania", "EUR"}, {"Luxembourg", "EUR"}, {"Macedonia", "MKD"}, {"Malta", "EUR"}, {"Moldova", "MDL"}, {"Monaco", "EUR"}, {"Montenegro", "EUR"}, {"Netherlands", "EUR"}, {"Norway", "NOK"}, {"Poland", "PLN"}, {"Portugal", "EUR"}, {"Romania", "RON"}, {"San Marino", "EUR"}, {"Serbia", "RSD"}, {"Slovakia", "EUR"}, {"Slovenia", "EUR"}, {"Spain", "EUR"}, {"Svalbard", "NOK"}, {"Sweden", "SEK"}, {"Switzerland", "CHF"}, {"Ukraine", "UAH"}, {"United Kingdom", "GBP"}, {"Vatican City", "EUR"}}

Thanks John

POSTED BY: john wylie
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract