Message Boards Message Boards

Path of the total 2017 solar eclipse across US

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
4 Replies

For anyone looking for more resources ahead of the April 8, 2024, eclipse (especially Wolfram Language resources for computing and analyzing eclipses), check out Stephen Wolfram's new book "Predicting the Eclipse: A Multimillennium Tale of Computation". You get a copy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Predicting-Eclipse-Multimillennium-Tale-Computation/dp/1579550878

POSTED BY: Paige Vigliarolo

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

I figured out a way to to plot the probability of good visibility of the solar eclipse. Define a function that can get the data for cloudiness over a large time span 2000 - 2015 taking US county name or a geo location as an argument:

ccd[c_] := WeatherData[c, "CloudCoverFraction", {{2000, 1, 1}, {2015, 1, 1}, All}]

I run it over all county names and fine the mean value:

seccd = ParallelMap[ccd, usco];
ccm[ts_] := Mean[DeleteMissing[Normal[ts], 1, Infinity][[All, 2]]];
avcc = ParallelMap[ccm, seccd] /. {_Mean -> .5, 0 -> .5};

Note DeleteMissing needed due to not reliable weather station services. When we did not have any data for a county we substituted 0.5 value for the average, - I bet there are better ways of estimation. Now we again use the same technique:

GeoRegionValuePlot[Thread[usco -> avcc], ColorFunction -> "Rainbow"]

And here trying to see the influence of the Earth surface topology:

GeoRegionValuePlot[Thread[usco -> avcc],  ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", 
GeoBackground -> "ReliefMap",  PlotStyle -> Opacity[.7]]

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

Amazing!

POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract