Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to call functions using GUIKit taking input arguments interactively?

Dear all A quick question on the ability to pass parameters to functions from mathematic GUI in an interactive manner. I am using the GUIKit which offers great functionality for quick GUI interface building. I am trying to call a set of functions by clicking a button which I did and works. In addition I would like to pass parameters to those functions from the same GUI interface via clicking a drop-down menu,a checkbox or radiobutton for example. The idea is that because I have several set of functions and each has different arguments, it is convenient to offer the user the ability to select a set of those parameters to pass for calculations and then click evaluate button. Also note that some functions rely on the output from previous functions which I would like to account for in building the GUI. The problem is I can't figure a way to make the Widget checkbox function to do that. below is my attempts along with some example code

let's say I have three simple functions

add[a_, b_] := sum = a + b;
prod[a_, b_] := product = a*b;
divide[a_, b_] := division = a/b;

Now I wan't to call them using a bottom in a GUI graphical interface :

GUIRunModal[
 Widget["Button", {"text" -> "Evaluate!",
   BindEvent["action",
      Script[Print[add[a, b]]]],
   BindEvent["action",
    Script[Print[prod[a, b]]]],
   BindEvent["action",
    Script[Print[divide[product, b]]]]
   }
  ], IncludedScriptContexts -> {$Context}
 ]

which when providing:

a = 50; b = 5;

Note I pass the output from the prod function ( that is product) as input to the divide function. By running above code you get: enter image description here

Now my question is how can I adda checkbox or radio button for each input variable (a,b,c) with a list of possible values to pass to the functions interactively within this GUI interface. The conditions is I want that to be in the same GUI e.g. in a GUIKIt Widget Frame

Many thanks

Hassan

POSTED BY: Hassan Hamdoun
2 Replies

I have moved on to use Manipulate instead. It is much better for GUIs than GUIKit which is a bit old now.

I also know that using checkbox I can selecting different values of variable a for example by alternating the check box e.g.:

{"value of a", Checkbox[Dynamic[a], {10, -10, 100, 150, -50}], 
    Dynamic[a]}

resulting in

enter image description here

The issue with this is that it still doesn't work with GUIRunModal??

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract