|
12 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

PolarConversiion

Posted 9 years ago

In Mathematica, how can I convert an equation written in Polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates with x and y values?

POSTED BY: John Lutz
12 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

David, I implemented your myTransformedField function. It is great. Years ago I bought a software package called Scientific Notebook by MacKichan Software Inc. It is a very user friendly front end to the old Maple version 5.5. It is no longer being upgraded. I wish someone would look at it to see the features and concept. Maybe something like it could be done for Mathematica.

Thanks again.

Posted 9 years ago

Thanks David. That worked! I finally have the conversion.

Posted 9 years ago

Well, after 20+ year using Mathematica I still learn something new every day. ;-)

The only thing wrong with your use of Transform field above is too many brackets, although code not in a code block sometimes gets mangled in a posting.

Below is a use of the built-in function you found, as well as an example of making your own, which is one of Mathematica's real strengths.

* and note that in my earlier post above I incorrectly used ArcTan[y,x] rather than ArcTan[x,y] *

In[1]:= (* with the built-in function *)
TransformedField[
 "Polar" -> "Cartesian", (r^2) Cos[theta], {r, theta} -> {x, y}]

Out[1]= x Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]

In[2]:= (* doing it with a Rule and Replace works also *)
fromPolarRule = {r -> Sqrt[x^2 + y^2], theta -> ArcTan[x, y]};

In[3]:= (* and we can use it to define a function *)
myTransformedField[expression_] := expression /. fromPolarRule

In[4]:= myTransformedField[(r^2) Cos[theta]]

Out[4]= x Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]
POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 9 years ago

TransformedField[ "Polar" -> "Cartesian", [(r^2)* Cos[[Theta]]], {r, [Theta]} -> {x, y}]

Syntax::sntxf: "TransformedField[Polar->Cartesian," cannot be followed by "[(r^2)*Cos[[Theta]]],{r,[Theta]}->{x,y}]". I am taking a calculus course on "Great Courses". On the Polar part of the course he shows how to convert an expression written in Polar Coordinate to Cartesian Coordinates. I still can't do this in Mathematica. I took the suggestion to try TransformedField. As you can see, I can't execute the example shown on the Help page. Do I have to load some kind of package before executing what I am trying to do. It doesn't look like it. A few years age I used Mathematica a lot. But now I am rusty. I my Trig book the show an example: r=@/(1-Cos(theta)) Converts to Y^2=4x+4. I have done polarplots ,successfully, in Mathematica on everything I am I am trying yo convert.

You help is appreciated.

Can I supply more info?

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Simon Cadrin

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Simon Cadrin
Posted 9 years ago

The built-in functions I'm aware of (CoordinateTransform (above) and FromPolarCoordinates) operate on vectors, not equations. Perhaps you could say more about the application.

Posted 9 years ago

I can do it on paper. I worded my question poorly. What I am looking for is a Mathematica command that will do this. Some commands will convert to polar but I haven't found one that converts to Cartesian. Thanks

Posted 9 years ago

Perhaps CoordinateTransform?

CoordinateTransform["Polar" -> "Cartesian", {r, \[Theta]}]
(* => {r Cos[\[Theta]], r Sin[\[Theta]]} *)
POSTED BY: Alexey Popkov
Posted 9 years ago

You could use the usual substitution. I use ArcTan[y,x] rather than ArcTan[y/x] because it accounts for the quadrant.

* Below edited to correct error *

In[1]:= fromPolarRule = {r -> Sqrt[x^2 + y^2], \[Theta] -> 
    ArcTan[x,y]};

In[2]:= eq = r Cos[\[Theta]] == r Sin[\[Theta]];

In[3]:= eqxy = eq /. fromPolarRule

Out[3]= x == y

In regard to David Keith's fromPolarRule, note that ArcTan[y, x] should read ArcTan[x, y].

POSTED BY: Eric Johnstone
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks, Eric -- I edited it to correct the error.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract