Message Boards Message Boards

Trying to rotate 3D Plot (using Rotate and ImageRotate)

Posted 9 years ago

Hello!

I am trying to use ImageRotate to rotate my image by Pi/3 around a specific axis. Here's what I'm trying to do. First I make a 3D plot:

a = SphericalPlot3D[1, {\[Theta], 0, \[Pi]}, {\[Phi], 0, 2 \[Pi]}, 
  ColorFunction -> 
   Function[{x, y, z, \[Theta], \[Phi], r}, 
    ColorData["DarkRainbow"][
     E^-((\[Theta] - \[Pi]/2)^2/(2 \[Sigma]) + (\[Phi] - \[Pi])^2/(
        2 \[Sigma]))]], ColorFunctionScaling -> False, Mesh -> True, 
  Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, PlotPoints -> 150, 
  ViewPoint -> {-2, 0, 0}, ImageSize -> 300]

enter image description here

Now I can rotate it using ImageRotate:

ImageRotate[a, Pi/3]

But now if I try and rotate around a specific axis (exactly the same way as the documentation), I get an error message:

ImageRotate[a, {Pi/3, {1, 0, 0}}]
 ImageRotate::imgang: Angle {\[Pi]/3,{1,0,0}} should be a real number, one of Top, Bottom, Left, Right, or a rule from one to another. >>

Also I tried using Rotate a similar thing happens i.e. I can do it without choosing an axis:

Rotate[a,Pi/3}

But I get an error if I do

Rotate[a,Pi/3,{1,0,0}]
Coordinate {1, 0, 0} should be a pair of numbers, or a Scaled or Offset form.

Does anybody why this is happening?

Thank you!

4 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Hello,

Rotate works on graphics primitives (Sphere, Cylinder, Cuboid ...). ListContourPlot3D is not a graphics primitive.

In 3D, Rotate can rotate around any given 3D vector. Check this:

Manipulate[
   Show[
     Graphics3D@Sphere[],
     Graphics3D@Rotate[Cuboid[], angle, {1, 0, 0}],
     PlotRange -> {{-1.5, 1.5}, {-1.5, 1.5}, {-1.5, 1.5}}
   ],
   {{angle, 0}, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}
 ]
POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 8 years ago

Hi there All, I have a related problem, but first I would like to say to @Rajiv Krishnakumar, Mathematica is already answering part of your question and is asking you to give only a 2D vector, or pair of numbers, although the help of the rotate function states that you can give a 3D Vector, it is confusing. I have not discovered yet how to use the Rotate and the Show function for a 3D Graphic, can anyone tell me how to Rotate a 3D Graphic and the combine the rotated Graphic with other 3D Graphics? .

Graph1 = ListContourPlot3D[ Table[x^2 + y^2 - z^2 + RandomReal[0.1], {x, -2, 2, 0.2}, {y, -2, 2, 0.2}, {z, -2, 2, 0.2}], Contours -> {0}, Mesh -> None] Head[Graph1]= Graphic3D

If Rotate is used Esta= Rotate[Graph1, Pi/2] the Head of the Output gets changed to rotate Head[Esta] = Rotate and the rotated Graphic can NOT be combined with other Graphics with Show. The conversion to Graphic with Show is also not possible and delives the "error" message: Show[Esta] Show::gtype: Rotate is not a type of graphics. >> No luck also with function->Graphics Graphics[Esta] Does anyone can help with this Problem?

Thanks in advance for your help Wishing you All Joy and Happiness

POSTED BY: Juan Tamara

Mathematica distinguishes between "Images" and "Graphics". See the documentation for information about them.

ImageRotate is for Images, but SphericalPlot3D produces a Graphic.

There is a specific function for Graphics rotation: https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Rotate.html

Rotate[a, Pi/2, {0, 0, 1}]

Another way to do this is to use the ViewPoint option: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ViewPoint.html

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

Thanks for the reply Sean!

As mentioned above, I did also try the "Rotate" function as such:

Rotate[a,Pi/3,{1,0,0}]

And I got the error:

Coordinate {1, 0, 0} should be a pair of numbers, or a Scaled or Offset form.

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract