Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

New to Walpha: what's wrong with this input?

Hi All,

Tried to input the following which I already had to simplify to fit the query length, but still not having any luck. Can't understand what is wrong with this query since based on the examples I saw, this should be understood. plot G(x,y) where G(x,y)=(10+650V(y)+3.7V(y)^2) + (39-170V(y)+134V(y)^2)U(x) + (3.3+32V(y)-36V(y)^2)U(x)^2, V(y)=(y-5)/(860-5), U(x)=(x-1)/(388-1)

I've already tried lots of variants around this formulation to no avail ...

Regards,

Laurent

5 Replies

Thanks Bill & Okkes. I discovered I could input formulas similar to what Okkes sent on this site.

Posted 9 years ago

I attached the file..

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Okkes Dulgerci
Posted 9 years ago

Barely fits

plot

It would be nice if anyone could point to a paragraph somewhere that described exactly how to get WolframAlpha to consistently understand user function definitions and user variable assignments to allow shortening of input for successful evaluation.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson

That isn't possible. Wolfram|Alpha is designed to give verbose answers to simple inputs, not vice versa. Definitions are not an available feature. As Laurent noted, the best choice for multi-line evaluation is Mathematica or the Wolfram Programming Cloud.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman
Posted 9 years ago

. example of variable assignment in WolframAlpha

But you state that is not possible.

I believe I have also seen examples of function definition in WolframAlpha, but I can't find one at the moment.

The issue seems to be finding the notation that consistently works correctly.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract