|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Problem with ImplicitRegion in three dimensions

Posted 9 years ago

The Problem is the following, I want to use NDSolveValue to solve for specific Dirichlet Conditions, therefore I need to construct a region with ImplicitRegion which has those boundaries I need for my Dirichlet conditions. While it works very good in two dimensions, I fail in three dimensions, because the interior boundaries are not good. For example, let's construct a hollow cylinder with some width:

\[ScriptCapitalR] = 
 ImplicitRegion[
  10 >= x^2 + y^2 >= 1 && 0 <= z <= 10, {x, y, 
   z}]; RegionPlot3D[\[ScriptCapitalR]]

Looking on the graph, one can see that the interior has not the form of a cylinder, thus defining a Dirichlet condition with x^2 + y^2 == 1 will lead to an error (effectively being ignored) while x^2+y^2 ==10 will be processed. Interestingly, the same problem arises if one wants to construct a hollow cylinder. Has anyone a solution for my problem?

4 Replies

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Simon Cadrin

You have to discretize the Dirichlet condition, I am afraid. I wonder if we can build our own discretization, bypassing the built-in automatic algorithms.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

It looks mostly like a cylinder to me, except that the section is a polygon instead of a circle. I don't know how to increase tha number of sides in the polygon.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

That's the problem, the outside looks like a cylinder, but the interior hollow part not. The problem is that when I want to impose a dirichlet condition that for example the voltage at the interior cylindric surface is 1 Volt it gives me an error because it cannot find those points on that surface (since the boundary is now some polygonic shape).

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract