3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Blue Death of Text -aka kernel death

Posted 9 years ago

Hi, Periodically the kernel just quits on my machine. There is no signs of it that would foresee it. Memory is plenty. Recently it happened when I tried to ListPlot3D a 32x32 size grid data. Suddenly all the black text, indicating that they were already executed became blue. In the Activity Monitor both the Front End and the main kernel was there, but the parallel kernels - all 4 of them - were gone. Ultimately I had to reboot. There was no sign of "crash", no crash report , nothing in the system.log. It is very annoying. The OS is the latest OS X 10.10.4 and Mathematica is the latest 10.0.2.0 Home Edition. The machine is a MacPro (late 2013) with 64GB memory AMD FirePro D300 2048MB Graphics, and 500G flash storage. Attached to it is a 12TB Raid. I am wondering if others have/had the same experience. Thanks ahead, János

POSTED BY: Janos Lobb
3 Replies

If you can post the code the code that causes this, or send it to support@wolfram.com (letting them know it causes a crash), either of us would be glad to forward it to the developers so they can take a closer look at the issue and hopefully fix whatever is causing it.

The reset is generally useful even if you don't believe you have any special configurations that you've made.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Sean,

It is at the installation defaults. In the meantime I realized that although I wanted to plot just one 32x32 frame from a stack of 1000x64, but accidentally I left out the Part designation, so the data was given to ListPlot3D as an 32x32x64x1000 array and that was too much. My apology. However that still should not have cause the Blue Text of Death, Mathematica should have reported back a not enough memory, or malformed data, or any other messages we used to have for these kind of situations.

Thanks a lot for your time, János

POSTED BY: Janos Lobb

I would reccomend resetting Mathematica's configuration to its installation defaults:

http://support.wolfram.com/kb/12464

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract