Message Boards Message Boards

Perform operation on each cell in spreadsheet column

Posted 9 years ago

Hello all. I have a 1-column spreadsheet with a list of company names. I need to find the headquarters location for each company. I have Wolfram pro, so I can upload data, but can't figure out how to do an operation on each cell and return a list/table. I'm looking for the equivalent of taking each cell, appending " headquarters" to it in the search bar and hitting return. i.e if you type "target headquarters" into wolfram alpha the location it gives is "Minneapolis MN 55430" and I want to do that for every company name in the column and export a list/spreadsheet.

Please help, thank you!

POSTED BY: Joseph Sutton
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I'm more than happy to do it in the Wolfram programming cloud (just looked it up). Is it feasible in the free version? If anyone has a good stepping point from there that would be great also.

Posted 9 years ago

Daniel, thanks for responding. Yea, the individual command is very simple and for the individual company names typed in it has no issue. I just need it to do it for every cell in the spreadsheet.

What is the data import in W|A used for then (I just got it)? Is it just for viewing graphs of spreadsheet data and it can't operate on it?

Fair question. Very possibly what you want to do can in fact be done in W|A Pro. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in on that. Also if this is not a resource you have seen, it might be worth a visit.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I do not know if there is a good W|A Pro approach to this. Might want to look into the Wolfram Cloud platform as it provides access to the language (and this is a simple operation in the Wolfram Language).

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract