|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Newbie learning the language

Posted 9 years ago

Newbie here! I just have a tad bit of trouble figuring out how to make the Wolfram|Alpha solve

x/y

if the expression is

x^3 - 4y^2 + 6y - 24

I'm really not keen to learning a new language or using a software package that can be interfaced using Python or C or any other common languages out there. I just want the easy way anyone can enter the math expressions with Wolfram|Alpha.

POSTED BY: Ren Sena
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Yes, I forgot to equate it to zero. I barely remember my Calc days (been a decade now) when I was introduced to Implicitly defined functions (from Implicit differentiation). So I wasn't even sure I how to put it or would I just make a fool of myself.

About the problem, I just assumed that there was just an operation to ask W|A to put an expression to a uuser-provided-standard form.

Oh, you mean to say that the expression equals zero?

x^3 - 4y^2 + 6y - 24 == 0

Without knowing that, you can't solve the problem. You can ask Wolfram|Alpha to solve for y. This is most of the work in the problem.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Solve+for+y+in+x%5E3+-+4+y%5E2+%2B+6+y+-+24+%3D%3D+0

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

I'm pertaining to implicitly defined functions, like usual, taking f(x) = y. So what I'm asking for is if I could ask Wolfram|Alpha if it can isolate the expression for f(x)/x. In my example:

y/x = 3/4x +/- sqrt(x^3 - 87/4)/x

So not exactly the derivative, but the slope from the point of origin.

I'm not sure I understand your question. What does it mean to solve x/y given an expression? Can you maybe give a simpler example which is worked out?

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract