3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Anyone got sound play to work?

Posted 9 years ago

e.g. Play[Sin[440 2 Pi t], {t, 0, 1}]

When I click ">", I just get this border:

enter image description here

Whereas the docs' example https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Play.html plays fine.

I have tried latest Chrome and Firefox.

POSTED BY: Chris Jordan
13 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks. It now works here (Chrome 44).

Though the audio quality is extremely poor. Even if with sample rate raised:

Play[Sin[400 2 Pi t], {t, 0, 1},SampleRate -> 44000]

Posted 9 years ago

Try your example again. Play[Sin[440 2 Pi t], {t, 0, 1}] should work now. There was indeed a bug with the click handling. We recently improved support for this. We have not yet removed the "not supported in the cloud" icon in the documentation.

Thanks,

John

POSTED BY: John Pacey
Posted 9 years ago

No, on my local computer.

Thanks.

I had not noticed that you were speaking about the cloud.

The clue is in the group title "Wolfram Programming Cloud" :)

you'll see a little symbol on the upper right that says that this function is not supported in the cloud.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. Wolfram would need to make that icon only little fainter to ensure no-one saw it :)

But regardless, that statement is wrong. WPC offers Play in autocomplete, executes it, produces the play control, and that play control does work in the cloud, once deployed. The problem is simply the play control does not work in the WPC IDE.

Unless anyone here reports different, I'll assume this is a bug, and will report it.

Hi Chris,

The clue is in the group title "Wolfram Programming Cloud" :)

Yes, I sometimes forget to look at that. Silly me! Play does indeed autocomplete in the Cloud, but its help clearly states that it does not work properly in the Cloud. I do believe that they work on the Wolfram Desktop, which essentially is a local version you get with a larger Cloud subscription.

Unless anyone here reports different, I'll assume this is a bug, and will report it.

I do not think that this is a bug. Wolfram know that Play does not work in the Cloud and they state that in the documentation, i.e. this is not a bug, the definition of which is:

A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

The result is not really incorrect or unexpected; in fact it is documented. :-)

I do understand, of course, that it would be nice if this feature worked in the cloud.

Also, I guess that there are security issues if the Cloud was allowed to use your speakers and/or microphone.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 9 years ago

its help clearly states that it does not work properly in the Cloud.

It's help clearly does not state that. And indeed it works fine in the cloud. Just not in the IDE.

Wolfram know that Play does not work in the Cloud and they state that in the documentation

I've seen only the "not supported" you highlighted.

The result is not really incorrect or unexpected; in fact it is documented. :-)

The result is not documented in the article you referenced. If you have another source, I'd be interested to see it.

Also, I guess that there are security issues if the Cloud was allowed to use your speakers and/or microphone.

Play[] doesn't need a mic, just a Graphics[] doesn't need a camera. And there's no security issue preventing the CloudDeploy Play[] version working, so I can't see there are any excusing the fact that IDE Play[] is not working.

[..its help clearly states that it does not work properly in the Cloud.] It's help clearly does not state that. And indeed it works fine in the cloud. Just not in the IDE.

Well mine looks like this:

enter image description here

There is a little Cloud symbol on the upper right which is indicating that this does not work in the cloud. If you hover over it it says: "This feature is not supported on the Wolfram Cloud." I interpreted this to mean that it does not work properly in the cloud.

The result is not documented in the article you referenced.

Well if you hover over the cloud symbol it says "This feature is not supported on the Wolfram Cloud." This is in the documentation. So I thought that it is documented that it is not supported in the cloud.

Play[] doesn't need a mic, just a Graphics[] doesn't need a camera.

I do understand that speakers and miss are different things. However, both need sound drivers; often the same driver is responsible to address the soundcard which is responsible for the speaker and the mic. There are often issues with that when you use screensharing and other programs. Also the cloud is still in beta, I believe, so people might be working on this.

At the moment, Play is not supported on the Wolfram Cloud.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 9 years ago

There is a little Cloud symbol on the upper right which is indicating that this does not work in the cloud.

As I said, it does work in the cloud. Just it does not work in the IDE.

So I thought that it is documented that it is not supported in the cloud.

You claimed the result is documented. It is not.

However, both need sound drivers; often the same driver is responsible to address the soundcard which is responsible for the speaker and the mic. There are often issues with that when you use screensharing and other programs

This is not due to driver issues (as proven by the fact CloudDeploy Play works) and I am not using screensharing.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion. Bye for now.

Hi,

I very much disagree with nearly everything in your post. The main result of this discussion is, I believe, that in the documentation it says that [Play]

This feature is not supported on the Wolfram Cloud.

If you think that parts of it do work (e.g everything except the IDE or so) then that is better than what is to be expected given the documentation. Therefore, I do not believe that this qualifies as a bug. I might be mistaken of course. If you do not agree, I would write an email to tech support via support@wolfram.com or via this webform. It would be fantastic if you could report their reply in this thread.

Best wishes,

Marco

No, on my local computer. I had not noticed that you were speaking about the cloud. I would not expect sound to work on the Cloud. If you look at the documentation for Play:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Play.html?q=Play

you'll see a little symbol on the upper right that says that this function is not supported in the cloud.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 9 years ago

Oh, now I see what you are saying. Sorry. Yes, it does work for me. (OS X 10.10.4, MMA 9-10.2). Never had a problem with it.

On Programming Cloud in a browser?

Do other interactive boxes work on your computer, e.g. does Manipulate work as expected? Which version of Mathematica

Not Mathematica. Programming Cloud.

I guess that this is not a problem specific to Play. Can you play any wav-file after importing it?

As I said, the docs Play example works fine.

Oh, now I see what you are saying. Sorry. Yes, it does work for me. (OS X 10.10.4, MMA 9-10.2). Never had a problem with it. Do other interactive boxes work on your computer, e.g. does Manipulate work as expected? Which version of Mathematica and which operating system are you on? Is there a problem with Mathematica and your sound card? I guess that this is not a problem specific to Play. Can you play any wav-file after importing it?

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 9 years ago

the Play function produces the interface on which you have to click to play the sound.

Understood. Does it work for you?

Because, as I said, when I click ">", I just get the border shown.

Hi,

the Play function produces the interface on which you have to click to play the sound. If you want to play the sound directly you can use:

EmitSound[Play[Sin[440 2 Pi t], {t, 0, 1}]]

Cheers,

Marco

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract