Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram Data Drop IFTTT Channel: track your elevation and much more

Yesterday IFTTT (IF This Then That) released the Wolfram Data Drop Channel. This is a BIG step forward in making the data from the Internet of Things computable. Currently there are more than 150 trigger channels that can be connected to Data Drop. Let's take a look at one of those channels: Numerous. In this post I'll show you how to get a Numerous recipe running in a few simple steps.

Click Create Recipe

• Step 1: Select the Numerous Trigger Channel

Choose Trigger

• Step 2: Select the trigger that fires every time a number changes by any amount

chooseType

• Step 3: Select the number that you want to track, elevation in my case

Select number

• Step 4: Select Wolfram Data Drop as Your Action Channel

then action data drop channel

• Step 5: Select "Add entry" Action

add entry

• Step 6: Complete Action Fields

action fields

Use the Wolfram Language function CreateDatabin to provide a name, and to specify that we want the values of the entries to be interpreted as a physical quantities (feet in this case).

bin = CreateDatabin[<|"Name" -> "My Elevation"|>, 
"Interpretation" -> {"elevation" ->Restricted["StructuredQuantity","Feet"]}];
bin["ShortID"]

"6F9_LE8T"

• Copy-paste this ID

• Write elevation= and select the ingredient FormattedValue.

ingredient

elevation={{FormattedValue}}
  • Step 7: Create and Connect

create

Voilà!

Numerous recipe

Now you can take an insight of the elevation measurements with Wolfram|Alpha by entering Data drop along with your databin's ID. Data drop 6F9_LE8T in my case.

WA

Or you can access this data directly from the Wolfram Language:

DateListPlot[Databin["6F9_LE8T"], Filling -> Bottom, FillingStyle -> LightBrown]

WLelevation

Please, feel free to share your own recipes below. Enjoy!

POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I'd like to have a DO action that saves a PNG image obtained from a fixed URL (the image itself changes) to a databin. I feel sure that this must be possible but haven't quite figured out how to do it. If I could created it as a DO action, then I could launch it from my Android Wear watch or my phone anytime I want to take a snapshot of the image at the URL. Grateful for any help.

POSTED BY: John Jowett

Hi Bernat,

It's quite interesting to use this for news aggregation. Could you plase share your experience in this topic? For example, may I connect to RSS, create parameters (i.e. I wanna receive news only about iran) and put all this news in DataDrop?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Anna Kudryashova

Hi Anna,

As far as I know, there are three Trigger Channels that allow you "to data drop" news about Iran: recipes

The good thing about Data Drop is that you can aggregate all this data in the same databin. You just have to bare in mind that sometimes the ingredients's names change from channel to channel:

The New York Times:

NYT

Digg:

Digg

Once you have this working, you could perform all sorts of analyses using Dataset:

dataset = Dataset[Databin["71rjg~aq"]]

dataset

WordCloud[DeleteStopwords[StringRiffle[Normal[dataset[All, "title"]]]]]

WordCloud

POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract