Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram Data Drop IFTTT Channel: track your elevation and much more

Yesterday IFTTT (IF This Then That) released the Wolfram Data Drop Channel. This is a BIG step forward in making the data from the Internet of Things computable. Currently there are more than 150 trigger channels that can be connected to Data Drop. Let's take a look at one of those channels: Numerous. In this post I'll show you how to get a Numerous recipe running in a few simple steps.

Click Create Recipe

• Step 1: Select the Numerous Trigger Channel

Choose Trigger

• Step 2: Select the trigger that fires every time a number changes by any amount

chooseType

• Step 3: Select the number that you want to track, elevation in my case

Select number

• Step 4: Select Wolfram Data Drop as Your Action Channel

then action data drop channel

• Step 5: Select "Add entry" Action

add entry

• Step 6: Complete Action Fields

action fields

Use the Wolfram Language function CreateDatabin to provide a name, and to specify that we want the values of the entries to be interpreted as a physical quantities (feet in this case).

bin = CreateDatabin[<|"Name" -> "My Elevation"|>, 
"Interpretation" -> {"elevation" ->Restricted["StructuredQuantity","Feet"]}];
bin["ShortID"]

"6F9_LE8T"

• Copy-paste this ID

• Write elevation= and select the ingredient FormattedValue.

ingredient

elevation={{FormattedValue}}
  • Step 7: Create and Connect

create

Voilà!

Numerous recipe

Now you can take an insight of the elevation measurements with Wolfram|Alpha by entering Data drop along with your databin's ID. Data drop 6F9_LE8T in my case.

WA

Or you can access this data directly from the Wolfram Language:

DateListPlot[Databin["6F9_LE8T"], Filling -> Bottom, FillingStyle -> LightBrown]

WLelevation

Please, feel free to share your own recipes below. Enjoy!

POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I'd like to have a DO action that saves a PNG image obtained from a fixed URL (the image itself changes) to a databin. I feel sure that this must be possible but haven't quite figured out how to do it. If I could created it as a DO action, then I could launch it from my Android Wear watch or my phone anytime I want to take a snapshot of the image at the URL. Grateful for any help.

POSTED BY: John Jowett

Hi Bernat,

It's quite interesting to use this for news aggregation. Could you plase share your experience in this topic? For example, may I connect to RSS, create parameters (i.e. I wanna receive news only about iran) and put all this news in DataDrop?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Anna Kudryashova
POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract