Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How can I use conventional math notation in Mathematica?

Posted 9 years ago

For example, instead of writing Det[Matrix imput], I would like to simply put the matrix inside 2 straight lines. Instead of writing Cos[x]^2, I would like to write Cos^2[x], with the square right after the Cos. And instead of writing the differential operator Dx[expression,x], I would like to write Dx[expression], without the x at the end, assuming implicitly the underscript on D means the variable the differentiation is occuring on.

I mean, I would like to be able to write mathematical equations and expressions in Mathematica in exactly the same way I write on a piece of paper. Could you help me?

POSTED BY: Lucas Queiroz
5 Replies

Programmatically with many expressions you can try this:

TraditionalForm[HoldForm[Det[{{a, 8}, {b, 1}}]]]
TraditionalForm[Defer[Det[{{a, 8}, {b, 1}}]]]

enter image description here

Read help on HoldForm and Defer and also take a look at Inactive which is useful in other situations. Also this blog could help:

Converting to Conventional Mathematical Typesetting

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 9 years ago

Is it possible to edit the palletes so as to include the TraditionalForm of the determinant?

Posted 9 years ago

Never mind. I found I can easily convert to Traditional Form using Shift+Ctrl+T. Nevertheless, how may the ambiguities arise if I'm using this form? Is there a source whichh might indicate where those ambiguities might occur and where they are troublesome?

Posted 9 years ago

You might try using a palette in the Palettes menu item.

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin
Posted 9 years ago

I see, now that I took a closer look at the pallete I found many symbols I didn't see before

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract