|
7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Slow start of CDF Player under Windows 10

Posted 9 years ago

I recently upgraded two PC's to Windows 10. The first one was on Windows 8.1, with both Mathematica and CDF Player installed as separate programs. The upgrade went well, no change in behaviour of either Mathematica or CDF Player.

Not so on the other PC. It was on Windows 7, with only CDF Player installed. After the upgrade CDF Player takes a painfully long time to start. 4~5 minutes until the Welcome Screen becomes accessible. This is what I see for most of that time:

enter image description here

Did the obvious: Reinstalled, played with the Compatibility settings in the shortcut. No improvement. Has anyone else seen this? And found a workaround?

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
7 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Ok, thanks Udo. So there is something wrong with my particular installation and/or W10 upgrade from W7.

Question: On your PC, do you have both Mathematica and CDF Player installed?

Answer: Yes, both, Mathematica 10.2.0.0 and CDF Player 10.2.0.0 are installed.

POSTED BY: Udo Krause

CDF Player 10.2 was also installed on an HP EliteBook 8560p (8 GB RAM, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit). On this machine CDF Player is home alone (no desktop Mathematica there) and starts constantly in less than 5 seconds.

Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Udo for your response. On my PC that previously was on W8.1 the startup time is also ~7 s. CDF Player 10.2.

On the other PC, previously W7, I have given up. After much experimenting. Now rolled back the machine to its W7 origin. And CDF Player starts, as before, fast.

Besides the difference in original OS between the two PC's there is another difference: The "good" PC has both Mathematica and CDF Player installed. The "bad" PC has CDF Player only, not Mathematica.

Question: On your PC, do you have both Mathematica and CDF Player installed? Or the CDF Player only?

This one (30.6.2012) starts in about 7 seconds

it has been deinstalled afterwards; the new one

starts also in 7 seconds at most under Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.

How do you access the "About CDF Player" window?

When I open CDF Player 10.2 under Windows 7, below the Wolfram CDF Player logo I only get two buttons with links to the "The Computable Document Format" and "Adopting CDF" web pages. So far I can only verify the version by looking at the executable properties.

POSTED BY: Gustavo Delfino
Posted 9 years ago

To access "About Wolfram CDF Player":

1. Start the CDF Player, and from within it open any CDF file.

2. You will now be able to access Help. And can select About ...

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract