View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Separation of Variables Question

Posted 9 years ago

how to separate variables d^2u/dx^2=d^2u/dt^2-cd^4u/(dx^2dy^2), c is a constant

POSTED BY: Allen He
4 Replies

Is this a general math question, or a question in regard to Wolfram technologies?

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 9 years ago

This is a general math problem. Sorry about this as I am fairly new to the forum. Am I supposed to ask only Wolfram related questions?

Yes. But if this is something you are trying to do with Mathematica, or Wolfram|Alpha, and you spell out what you have tried (preferably providing code, or the W|A input you used), then it becomes suitable for this forum. For general math independent of Wolfram technologies there are other forums. I just did a Google search for "where to ask math questions on internet" (but without the quotes) and came up with several hits that look pretty reasonable.

On a distantly related note, are you sure there is a way to separate variables for your DE? (It's been a long time since I've studied the topic so maybe I'm missing something.)

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you for the information and sorry again about this. I will ask it somewhere else. I am sure there is a way because this is a homework problem on a textbook.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract