4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Extremely poor audio quality

Posted 9 years ago
Play[Sin[40 2 Pi t], {t, 0, 1},SampleRate -> 44000]

yields extremely poor audio quality. Distorted and noisy, as if the sample rate was much lower and/or the signal was lossy-compressed (Testing here in Chrome 44.)

Anyone know if there's a workaround, and/or if the devs are fixing the cause?

POSTED BY: Chris Jordan
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Seems to play quite well on my high-end desktop PC. The only distortion/noise I heard was at the boundaries (start/stop). That's completely expected. I think David's comments about hardware dependency are valid.

POSTED BY: David G
Posted 9 years ago

This is asking for a 40Hz tone, which is well below the frequency response capabilities of most computer audio systems.

That's no excuse for distortion and noise.

POSTED BY: Chris Jordan

Speakers will play even if they can't manage to play the sound. This will result is distortion and noise you hear. It can even result in the destruction of the speakers.

The way to debug this is to export the waveform to some format like ".wav" you can then run it in other programs to see if you get the same result. You can additionally examine the wavefile yourself for any error. Or compare to a waveform generated by another program, which probably give you the same result.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 9 years ago

This is asking for a 40Hz tone, which is well below the frequency response capabilities of most computer audio systems. On my laptop, I get a click. On my workstation, which has a good sound card and BX5 monitor speakers, the 40Hz is quite well reproduced.

POSTED BY: David Keith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract