2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Mathematica 10 failing to start on Windows 8.1

Posted 9 years ago

I've started having trouble with Mathematica (10.0.2) not starting on my Win8.1 system. The splash screen comes up, its status gets as far as "Initializing kernels", and that's it. This is without warning, and I'm not aware of any system changes that might be interfering.

I click on the splash screen and Windows recognises it's not responding and offers to shut it down. (Shutting down the unresponsive front end also shuts down the kernels).

CPU-activity-wise, the front end is idle, and of the two kernels that are launched, one is idle and the other is fully busy. The command lines for the three processes are:

• Front End: .\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\Binaries\Windows-x86-64\Mathematica.exe

• Idle kernel: WolframKernel -wstp -noicon -mathlink -linkprotocol "SharedMemory" -linkmode connect -linkname "38na8_shm"

• Busy kernel: WolframKernel -sandbox -noinit -pwfile "C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\10.0\Configuration\Licensing\playerpass" -wstp -noicon -mathlink -linkprotocol "SharedMemory" -linkmode connect -linkname "kirja_shm"

Starting a naked kernel works without problem.

I've tried starting Mma in safe mode (Shift+click, or shift+ctrl+click, both since I've had conflicting information), both as myself and as administrator. No luck.

Temporarily disabling antivirus doesn't help (and wouldn't be a long-term solution anyway, of course).

I've tried the suggestion of clearing out the system ProgramData and user AppData. The program starts up normally (including accepting my licence key), repopulating the settings files. Once. The problem returns with the next relaunch.

I've tried uninstalling, clearing out remaining references to the program, and reinstalling. Again, the program starts up normally. Again, shutting it down and starting it again causes the problem to reappear.

I am considering an upgrade, but I have no reason to think that that will cure the problem either; any solutions or further suggestions about what to try are appreciated.

POSTED BY: Morgan Owens
2 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Yes, that looks like it's done the trick; thank you.

Curious that the dud paclet seemed to survive the uninstall/reinstall cycle, but....

POSTED BY: Morgan Owens

Please see my post here.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract